Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Will
    Last Activity
    03-24-2013 6:39 PM
    Blog Entries

I want to get a clownfish.

Hi guys, I don't really know anything about marine fish tanks and figured this would be a good place to ask.
    I want to get 1 or 2 clownfish (percula), along with some anenomes and maybe live rock.
    What do I need to get started, and what's an approximate price for it all? I can get perculas and false perculas locally, for a pretty fair price.
    Here's what I'm thinking I need, please tell me what else I need or what I do not need.

30g Aquarium
    Marine Salt
    pH Buffer? (My local pH is about 6.9)
    Hydrometer
    Heater
    Powerhead for current?
    Anenome's
    Clownfish

For filtration, what do I need? I've heard about protein skimmers and big external filters and I really don't know a thing about them.
    Thanks for helping
    Please check out my photography at http://500px.com/willwaibel! Any critique would be much appreciated.

www.centralcoastreefclub. com Ace25's Avatar
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Blog Entries
    Don't need pH buffer.. the salt will raise the pH to what it needs to be.

For just a couple clownfish.. you can do that cheap and easy... but with anemones in the mix, then it will get expensive. Lighting being a big expense, filtration (sump is the best option), reactors for phosphate remover and carbon (most common method of filtration, although there are others like a Algae Turf Scrubber), and skimmer (not really much of a fan of skimmers anymore, I don't think they do that much, but they are/have been a staple for marine aquariums for many years).

You also forgot to add live rock and sand (sand optional depending on preference). Live rock is expensive. Even if you went 1/2lb per gallon, that still is around $75 for a 30G @ $5/lb. Lights will run you about $200 for a 30G tank minimum in order to give anemones sufficient light. A couple powerheads, Koralia Evo 750's will run you at least $80.

So for a 30G clown/anemone tank, I say your looking at $500 minimum to start from scratch... realistically, with the livestock, your probably looking at closer to $700 for a 30G tank all up and running.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Will
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace25 View Post
    Don't need pH buffer.. the salt will raise the pH to what it needs to be.

For just a couple clownfish.. you can do that cheap and easy... but with anemones in the mix, then it will get expensive. Lighting being a big expense, filtration (sump is the best option), reactors for phosphate remover and carbon (most common method of filtration, although there are others like a Algae Turf Scrubber), and skimmer (not really much of a fan of skimmers anymore, I don't think they do that much, but they are/have been a staple for marine aquariums for many years).

You also forgot to add live rock and sand (sand optional depending on preference). Live rock is expensive. Even if you went 1/2lb per gallon, that still is around $75 for a 30G @ $5/lb. Lights will run you about $200 for a 30G tank minimum in order to give anemones sufficient light. A couple powerheads, Koralia Evo 750's will run you at least $80.

So for a 30G clown/anemone tank, I say your looking at $500 minimum to start from scratch... realistically, with the livestock, your probably looking at closer to $700 for a 30G tank all up and running.
    Ok, thanks for an honest answer. I'm just going to have to save up for a while (I'm 14), maybe after Christmas.
    Please check out my photography at http://500px.com/willwaibel! Any critique would be much appreciated.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    08-01-2013 9:43 AM
    I'd say what ever you decide to do, just do your research and get lots of help and advice from the wonderful people here. Be patient and take it slow.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Deborah
    Hey, Piranha86, are you dead-set on having anemones, or is it really just the clownfish you want? I don't have marine tanks, but I've been reading threads over here for a while, and I'm pretty sure clownfish can be kept successfully without anemones. Maybe someone could confirm that?

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    12-21-2013 10:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by colleen0309 View Post
    I'd say what ever you decide to do, just do your research and get lots of help and advice from the wonderful people here. Be patient and take it slow.

YES for GODS sake, or you'll end up with 13 dead clownfish like the guy in the below thread.
    The Fraternity of Dirt #26
    Just because its dirt doesn't make it low Tech
    75 Dirted
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...d-upgrade.html
    I Sell Snails - MTS
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sw...et-snails.html

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Will
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by colleen0309 View Post
    That's what I'm planning on.
    Quote Originally Posted by H2Ogal View Post
    Hey, Piranha86, are you dead-set on having anemones, or is it really just the clownfish you want? I don't have marine tanks, but I've been reading threads over here for a while, and I'm pretty sure clownfish can be kept successfully without anemones. Maybe someone could confirm that?
    I like anenomes, but I really only want them for the clownfishs' sake.
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonG75 View Post
    YES for GODS sake, or you'll end up with 13 dead clownfish like the guy in the below thread.
    Dude, I'm not getting these 'til January. I'm a research-aholic anyway.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Blog Entries
    Clownfish in an aquarium don't need an anemone at all. Sure, it is nice to see them have a "home" for our sake, but for their sake/health it is not necessary. In the wild, clownfish pretty much require anemones for shelter because they are poor swimmers, but in an aquarium they don't have that problem. Again.. you can do just a couple clownfish for a small fraction of the cost compared to adding an anemone. If it is going to cost upwards of $700 for a clown/anemone setup, you can do just clowns for $200.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Will
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace25 View Post
    Clownfish in an aquarium don't need an anemone at all. Sure, it is nice to see them have a "home" for our sake, but for their sake/health it is not necessary. In the wild, clownfish pretty much require anemones for shelter because they are poor swimmers, but in an aquarium they don't have that problem. Again.. you can do just a couple clownfish for a small fraction of the cost compared to adding an anemone. If it is going to cost upwards of $700 for a clown/anemone setup, you can do just clowns for $200.
    Well, that's great to hear. I'll get some really nice fake anenomes It'll save me $500.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Blog Entries
    BTW, if you have a Petco around you they are having their $1/gallon sale again starting tomorrow, 8/29 - 9/18. You an get a nice 20G tank for $20. You don't have to set it up right away.. but get the tank to save some $ now.

http://www.petco.com/Fish-Home.aspx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information