I want to get a clownfish.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Piranha86

AC Members
Dec 26, 2009
Harford County Maryland
Real Name
Will
Hi guys, I don't really know anything about marine fish tanks and figured this would be a good place to ask.
I want to get 1 or 2 clownfish (percula), along with some anenomes and maybe live rock.
What do I need to get started, and what's an approximate price for it all? I can get perculas and false perculas locally, for a pretty fair price.
Here's what I'm thinking I need, please tell me what else I need or what I do not need.

30g Aquarium
Marine Salt
pH Buffer? (My local pH is about 6.9)
Hydrometer
Heater
Powerhead for current?
Anenome's
Clownfish

For filtration, what do I need? I've heard about protein skimmers and big external filters and I really don't know a thing about them.
Thanks for helping :D

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Don't need pH buffer.. the salt will raise the pH to what it needs to be.

For just a couple clownfish.. you can do that cheap and easy... but with anemones in the mix, then it will get expensive. Lighting being a big expense, filtration (sump is the best option), reactors for phosphate remover and carbon (most common method of filtration, although there are others like a Algae Turf Scrubber), and skimmer (not really much of a fan of skimmers anymore, I don't think they do that much, but they are/have been a staple for marine aquariums for many years).

You also forgot to add live rock and sand (sand optional depending on preference). Live rock is expensive. Even if you went 1/2lb per gallon, that still is around $75 for a 30G @ $5/lb. Lights will run you about $200 for a 30G tank minimum in order to give anemones sufficient light. A couple powerheads, Koralia Evo 750's will run you at least $80.

So for a 30G clown/anemone tank, I say your looking at $500 minimum to start from scratch... realistically, with the livestock, your probably looking at closer to $700 for a 30G tank all up and running.

Piranha86

AC Members
Dec 26, 2009
Harford County Maryland
Real Name
Will
Don't need pH buffer.. the salt will raise the pH to what it needs to be.

For just a couple clownfish.. you can do that cheap and easy... but with anemones in the mix, then it will get expensive. Lighting being a big expense, filtration (sump is the best option), reactors for phosphate remover and carbon (most common method of filtration, although there are others like a Algae Turf Scrubber), and skimmer (not really much of a fan of skimmers anymore, I don't think they do that much, but they are/have been a staple for marine aquariums for many years).

You also forgot to add live rock and sand (sand optional depending on preference). Live rock is expensive. Even if you went 1/2lb per gallon, that still is around $75 for a 30G @ $5/lb. Lights will run you about $200 for a 30G tank minimum in order to give anemones sufficient light. A couple powerheads, Koralia Evo 750's will run you at least $80.

So for a 30G clown/anemone tank, I say your looking at $500 minimum to start from scratch... realistically, with the livestock, your probably looking at closer to $700 for a 30G tank all up and running.
Ok, thanks for an honest answer. I'm just going to have to save up for a while (I'm 14), maybe after Christmas.

colleen0309

AC Members
Jul 21, 2010
Freedom, NY
I'd say what ever you decide to do, just do your research and get lots of help and advice from the wonderful people here. Be patient and take it slow.

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
Hey, Piranha86, are you dead-set on having anemones, or is it really just the clownfish you want? I don't have marine tanks, but I've been reading threads over here for a while, and I'm pretty sure clownfish can be kept successfully without anemones. Maybe someone could confirm that? :)

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
I'd say what ever you decide to do, just do your research and get lots of help and advice from the wonderful people here. Be patient and take it slow.

YES for GODS sake, or you'll end up with 13 dead clownfish like the guy in the below thread.

Piranha86

AC Members
Dec 26, 2009
Harford County Maryland
Real Name
Will
That's what I'm planning on.
Hey, Piranha86, are you dead-set on having anemones, or is it really just the clownfish you want? I don't have marine tanks, but I've been reading threads over here for a while, and I'm pretty sure clownfish can be kept successfully without anemones. Maybe someone could confirm that? :)
I like anenomes, but I really only want them for the clownfishs' sake.
YES for GODS sake, or you'll end up with 13 dead clownfish like the guy in the below thread.
Dude, I'm not getting these 'til January. I'm a research-aholic anyway.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Clownfish in an aquarium don't need an anemone at all. Sure, it is nice to see them have a "home" for our sake, but for their sake/health it is not necessary. In the wild, clownfish pretty much require anemones for shelter because they are poor swimmers, but in an aquarium they don't have that problem. Again.. you can do just a couple clownfish for a small fraction of the cost compared to adding an anemone. If it is going to cost upwards of $700 for a clown/anemone setup, you can do just clowns for $200.

Piranha86

AC Members
Dec 26, 2009
Harford County Maryland
Real Name
Will
Clownfish in an aquarium don't need an anemone at all. Sure, it is nice to see them have a "home" for our sake, but for their sake/health it is not necessary. In the wild, clownfish pretty much require anemones for shelter because they are poor swimmers, but in an aquarium they don't have that problem. Again.. you can do just a couple clownfish for a small fraction of the cost compared to adding an anemone. If it is going to cost upwards of $700 for a clown/anemone setup, you can do just clowns for $200.
Well, that's great to hear. I'll get some really nice fake anenomes :grinyes: It'll save me $500.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store