10g plants, CP?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
since ive put my custom 6ft tank in my room i had to take down a 10g to make room for it. theres no where i can put a 10g that full of water, so im looking at setting it up with something non aquatic. i would really love to build a fogger to accommodate whatever i keep in it. right now there is a praying mantis in the tank, but if i decide not to keep it or if it dies, what can i do with it. im a beginner so i obviously dont want something thats going to be hard and alot of work, ill try that stuff later. im kind of interested in carny plants, but i dont really like the idea of the dormancy thing. are there any that dont require that or any plants that are just appealing looking that i could keep in an aquarium of this size?

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Totally!

http://cobraplant.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=26&zenid=f22ef83da2d61fc888beb23dad2f5fcb

That's a link to Sarracenia Northwest (aka cobraplant.com) on that page are all tropical plants which do not require dormancy. Look at the droseras in particular. They are really interesting and beautiful and are incredibly easy to take care of. Basically, get the humidity to where you want it, and leave them sitting in an inch or so of water. Doesn't get much easier or cooler IMO...

I would have to say thought that Jpappy is the resident drosera expert. My guess is he'll be along soon to weigh in. =)

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
sweet im deffinatly going to look into these, are there any special lightings that i will need for them to properly photosynthesize or anything like that?

also is there any flowering plants and stuff that i could keep as well?

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
sweet im deffinatly going to look into these, are there any special lightings that i will need for them to properly photosynthesize or anything like that?

also is there any flowering plants and stuff that i could keep as well?
I use CFL bulbs between 5000 and 6500k. As long as those requirements are met, you want to look for the highest lumen rating you can find... that's the part that's most important to these guys. I also have wrapped my CP terrariums with white reflective plastic sheeting to minimize light lost through the glass.

Most droseras will flower when they are happy, and generally several times per year. There's lots of pics of my dews with and without flowers here: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220987. It's become a lot to look through, but there's some cool pics of my plants as well as other people's and lots of good info. Pappy's thread has lots of good pics too.

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
im looking at andysorchids.com to see about those, but it throws alot of info at me and im not sure what i could and couldnt keep in my setup....

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
hey in this picture below, what is the largest plant in the middle?

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
im looking at andysorchids.com to see about those, but it throws alot of info at me and im not sure what i could and couldnt keep in my setup....
I just started getting into orchids and am also trying to sort out a huge amount of info. It seems to depend a lot on what type you get. I've got 2 phalenopsis that seem to be doing pretty well so far.

The plant you're referring to is a drosera adelae. it's really easy to grow and propagates like crazy.

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
do these plants all have to be potted? it seems like they are all potted. i dont have a problem with that, im just saying.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
do these plants all have to be potted? it seems like they are all potted. i dont have a problem with that, im just saying.
Not sure what you mean. If you mean potted as opposed to actually filling the terrarium with substrate and planting them that way, it is an option, but it opens up the possibility for spreading fungal infections, etc if something bad were to break out. That and the simplicity of moving things around and taking them out for examination and such is why I keep them all potted individually.

If I'm misinterpreting your question, let me know.

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
no thats exactly the answer i was looking for. you said that you fill up the tank a little bit in the water. does this water need to be changed out or kept moving?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store