carpguy's tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

carpguy

lots of small fish
Jul 15, 2002
nyc
Visit site
SE Asian regional planted tank.
30g with an AquaClear 150.
100w VisiTherm heater (apartment stays fairly warm).
72 watts CF lighting from AH Supply, plus a 13w moonlight (a lot of moon for this tank, but partially masked and a sharp addition)

Flora:
Water sprite (Ceratopteris thalictriodes)
Rotala indica
Ambulia (Limnophila sessiflora) -- stuff is growing out of control.
Java Fern (microsorum pteropus)
hygrophilla polysperma
cryptocoryne walkeri
Crypt. spiralis
…done for now.
Got to get a grip on macro levels. Flourish and Excel not cutting it. Growth a little more erratic than I'd like it to be.

Fauna:
4 redtail rasbora (rasbora borapetensis)
4 eye-spot rasbora (rasbora dorsiocellata)
2 pearl gourami (trichogaster leeri)
4 zebra loach (botia striata)
5 golden dwarf barbs (barbus gelius)

…completely full. Plus 2 juvenile SAEs, so a little too full. (One of the SAEs was found dead this morning -- chalking it up to overcrowding, but I suspect he was fighting with the pearls or the loaches). The dwarf barbs will be moving to their new home later this week. This tank will be split into two 30gs in the next few months.

The rasbora school together some of the time, as two separate groups some of the time, but generally school. The eye-spots are definitely the more skittish of the two. The barbs are staying together as a school more often now that they've settled in. Schooling has been more intense with the gouramis on the tear. They seem to be getting used to things and are using more of the tank again.

The pearl's don't seem to be able to maintain a bubblenest but they keep building them and they keep spawning. The color changes according to their "mood". The loaches have taken to antagonizing the pearls -- I think there just curious, but they keep swimming up near the bubblenest and getting themselves attacked.

The loaches are mad as ever. They've recently taken to loitering as a pack on a flat driftwood nook in the shade of the ambulia grove. I think they're up to something…

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store