something wrong with my angelfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gmc4cw

Registered Member
Mar 13, 2010
it has what looks like a pimple on the spine of its tail and two sacks that look like bubbles of air on its one gill. it behaves normally, eating and swimming fine. the pimple I noticed today, the sacs on its gills have been getting bigger for a few days now. at first they were hard to see, looked like just a discoloration. now they are definitely full of fluid. about the diameter of a pinhead. I will try to take a picture but my camera doesn't take very good close up shots through the glass. they always come out blurry.

UpstateNYer

AC Members
Apr 10, 2008
Antwerp, NY 13608
Real Name
Ric Letson
Can you clarify whether the blister / sac on his gills are actually on the gill itself of the gill plate that covers the gill? (As in, is it IN the red / pink meaty tissue of the gill itself) and what color it appears? Is it clear or an opaque white, etc.

Also, what size tank, how long has the tank been set up, how long has the fish been in the tank and are there any other inhabitants. Is the fish new to you? If you have a test kit could you post the results of the water (Ammonia, Nitrite & Nitrate).

Ric

gmc4cw

Registered Member
Mar 13, 2010
the stuff on the gill was on the edge. it would move with the gill when breathing. yesterday they were clear, like an air bubble, today they have shrunk and are pink. but the pimple on the tail is unchanged.

the fish is new to me. I bought it at That Fish Place on Tuesday the 26th of August. so its been just over a week.

the tank is a 55 gallon, it has been up for about 6 months. started with two damsels, added 2 clownfish a few months ago, this is the only fish we have added in awhile. also have a turbo snail, coral banded shrimp, anemone, lots of live rock.

I doubt my tank got this fish sick, maybe the stress of a new environment but not likely since it has places to hide and room to swim versus the tiny space it occupied at TFP.

I don't have a test kit other then strips. I make up for it by changing the water weekly (which makes my wife crazy) and trying to keep the bioload low. I want a nice coral tank with a few fish, the wife and kids want pretty fish to look at, everything they like is not reef friendly.

I appreciate any help or advice anyone has.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store