6G Nano?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rhiannonk

AC Members
May 28, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I am wondering if any of you have experience with/think that it would be possible to have a 6G (Eclipse) SW tank (FOWLR) with only one (maybe 2) fish (eg: small clown, small goby, something along those lines.) I wouldn't be using the factory filtration (I would upgrade to something else) or lighting (again, would be ready to try to upgrade - though I am not planning on growing corals or anything like that.) I understand that often tiny tanks are much less forgiving in terms of water parameters and such, but otherwise, any ideas?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Sure. :) They are more work to get stable, and require a bit more effort to keep stable. The stocking is a bit of a challenge, but just avoid anything that's hard to feed (ie, no dragonets!). Set up an auto topoff, especially if you're in a dry climate where there would be a lot of evaporation.

rhiannonk

AC Members
May 28, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Hrm ... do you think that a single percula clown would be too large for the tank? My LFS has very limited SW selection ... there are a few small gobies though I would prefer a single "centerpiece" type fish.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I'm biased against perculas--they're cute, but can be very hard on any corals you might have. But, that aside, no, one will be fine in a tank. She'll be dominant and pushy. :) And unlikely to be a picky feeder at all.

rhiannonk

AC Members
May 28, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Well I'm not really looking to support anything other than the fish, so corals etc aren't really a huge concern. Because going that extra step means I have to mod the lighting etc, which I'm not really ready for. Though, it's always something I can do down the road if I decide to.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
So a percula clown would be fine. Maybe even a cleaner shrimp--I had great luck with them in a 5 gallon.

rhiannonk

AC Members
May 28, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Now I've sort of seen some mixed things when it comes to filtration etc on a small tank. I am obviously prepared to be doing weekly small water changes. For this sortof set up, however, I plan on having a filter that will provide adequate surface agitation, capacity for beneficial bacteria to survive (media), and the ability to filter particulate matter (so basically, your plain old HOB or something like that ... now will this be adequate? Or do I need to look into protein skimmers and that sort of thing?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store