guidance please.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bls5301

AC Members
Jul 4, 2010
Hey guys,

So when i was little i had a lizard of some kind (dont remember what kind exactly) but i really enjoyed keeping it as a pet. I now have a 10 gallon tank that is empty and im thinking about maybe getting a new reptile friend. :grinno: I know the 10 gallon wont be a permanent home for almost any reptile but what would be a nice starter pet for me?

GuppyGirl1230

Snails, Guppies and Corys, OH MY!!!
Jul 14, 2010
Westminster, Colorado
Real Name
Maribeth
Leopard Geckos are fun, Anoles, pacman frogs, It would be a great starter tank for an iguana or a bearded dragon. You could get a blue tongued skink, but they are rather expensive. Corn snakes are cool too. It just depends on what you like!!

UpstateNYer

AC Members
Apr 10, 2008
Antwerp, NY 13608
Real Name
Ric Letson
There are some gecko's that stay small. Leopard geckos come to mind, they're fairly low maintenance.

They require crickets or mealworms for food, a calcium and mineral supplement powder you can get at the pet shop to dust the crickets / worms with. You'd need a screen lid for the tank, water bowl, heat lamp or under tank heater and UVA/UVB UV light depending on the bulb you may also need a regular daylight bulb. The fixtures can be cheap clamp-on things with standard screw in light bulbs from the pet store or strip fluorescents.

Get one young so it gets used to you, handle it as much as you can so it gets socialized and you'll make a true friend. Our leopard gecko would sit on my shoulder and cuddle up as we watched TV. As it grows you'll want to upgrade to a 20-30 gal tank so he can roam around, explore and have room.

I'm sure others will have ideas also..

Ric

thebrandon

I like fish
Jan 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
I think my pac man frog that I had was pretty boring lol. It sure looked cool, but it sat in the same place almost all the time.

bls5301

AC Members
Jul 4, 2010
Thanks for the suggestions guys, i saw leopard geckos at the local pet store the other day and they did look neat. But snakes i think are out of the picture. My girlfriend would never come home.:headshake2:

I saw a few other ones at a different pet store, it was more of a mom and pop shop. The one was a blue gecko and that looked really cool. Anybody know anything about them? he looked really tiny.

Keep the input comin guys :thm:

GuppyGirl1230

Snails, Guppies and Corys, OH MY!!!
Jul 14, 2010
Westminster, Colorado
Real Name
Maribeth
If it is the one I am thinking of, it is an Electric Blue Gecko. They will need an enclosure with a tight fitting lid as they can and will climb your glass. My little brother has one, and they are cute!!

Temptress

Total Newbie
Mar 12, 2009
Minnesota
Leopard geckos are nocturnal and don't need UVA/UVB UV light if I'm not mistaken, which makes them even easier to care for because even a fish tank light will work, as a matter of fact the dimmer the better as far as these guys go but the under tank heater (UTH you'll see it called) is very important =) I have 2 and they great little pets!

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
I love Green Anoles!!!! I'm not sure if it's still advisable for a 10 gallon, but I used to have a green tree frog in a 10 gallon with 2 green anoles(Keep in mind I was a LOT younger so don't flame) and they lived fine (about a year), until they escaped when somebody wanted to clean the tank. They make great pets!

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
I saw a few other ones at a different pet store, it was more of a mom and pop shop. The one was a blue gecko and that looked really cool. Anybody know anything about them? he looked really tiny.

Keep the input comin guys :thm:
I keep and breed Lygodactylus williamsi (Electric Blues). A pair of them would work in a 10 gallon. But keep in mind they are a display animal only and you can't hold them because they're so small, fast and fragile. I have a CBB female for sale right now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store