55g re-set with angels & corys

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tarquin375

thats no moon, it's a space station
Sep 3, 2008
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Will
Hi all

I'm re-setting up a 55g (48x12x21) and was wondering if I could get some stocking tips. I know I want angels, but not sure how many and also corys, beyond that, an algae eater of some sort and some lively, colorfful fish. (the angels and algae eater are my 7yr old daughter's idea and I love corys). I have a gravel bottom and art. plants and a few decorations. My filtration is an XP3. Any suggestions?? Thanks.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
3-5 angels should be fine...just be prepared for possible pairing off, that doesn't happen as much as folks often express. In a 55 you could easily handle a dozen Cory, all one type or maybe two different groups of 6.

The algae eater really isn't necessary, but you could easily handle a bristle nose or small clown pleco. Stay away from the commons, they get huge. Most LFS employees have no clue what kind of plecos they have, and many don't eat that much algae and you will need to supplement their diet.

You even have room for some top level swimmers such as harley rasboras or hatchets.

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
I agree with the angels breeding hype. I have 7 in a 90g and they are very large and healthy. I have males and females and absolutely no breeding..lol

tarquin375

Sep 3, 2008
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Will
Great info Rbishop, thanks.

With the corys, I didn't know I could have so many, I really like albinos, any other corys in particular that would be groovy with albinos?

I checked out the harley rasboras, they seem pretty cool, not sure about the hatchets though....

the bristlenose seems pretty cool, any other algea eater suggestions?

I think I would go with five angels and 12 corys, how many harley rasboras? Any good south american suggestions in place of/in addition to them?

Thanks folks.

Edit: Is there any particular grouping of angel types(?) that seems to work better than others?

Last edited:

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
I think I would go with five angels and 12 corys, how many harley rasboras? Any good south american suggestions in place of/in addition to them?
Red or Black Phantom tetras -- similar size, body shape and tempermant -- very nice fish!

NewZealandFish

AC Members
Sep 2, 2010
New Zealand
Real Name
Matt
With the corys, I didn't know I could have so many, I really like albinos, any other corys in particular that would be groovy with albinos?
Well personally I like panda, albino and peppered corydoras. I think they would make a good mix maybe 4 or 5 of each?

In a 55g you can get quite alot of fish, depending on sizes. You could probably squeeze 10-15 Harleys in there too. There are many, many options, personally I like harleys and rummynose tetras, you could get about 10-15 of them.

Have fun and remember to add photos!

tarquin375

Sep 3, 2008
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Will
More awesome info! Thanks folks. Keep it coming, if anyone is so inclined......and I will share photos when its all set up and full o' fish....

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
I have 2 angels in my 55G, 13 peppered cories, a BN pleco, 2 GBR and 11 black neons. If you are able to do so, make the switch to real plants, all of my fish love them, especially the smaller fish as they get a lot of cover from the angels. If you get low light plants they are virtually maintenance free.

CrimsonBlush

Attemping to post rather than lurk
Jun 15, 2008
Twin Cities
crimsonblush.deviantart.com
Real Name
Miah
Another suggestion for lively colorful fish are livebearers such as platies. They come in a array of colors and I bet your daughter would love them! And since you have larger fish in there you shouldn't have too many problems with population control.

I also highly recommend live plants! They are a beautiful addition to any tank.

I always hear so much hype about breeding and angels. Maybe I will have 3 in my 45 and rehome one if 2 end up becoming a pair.

Best of luck to you! Keep us updated! :)

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
Great info Rbishop, thanks.

Albinos are bronze corys(C. aneus). So if you want a mixed school, they would work. If you want separate schools, you can pick another similar sized species(although they might still hang out together).

the bristlenose seems pretty cool, any other algea eater suggestions?
If you like them it is hard to go wrong with bristlenose plecos. They stay a reasonable size and are good algae eaters. The only special requirement is they need a little driftwood.

Edit: Is there any particular grouping of angel types(?) that seems to work better than others?
Basically all the common varieties are the same species(Pterophyllum scalare), so it does not matter to them. Black angels may have a slightly higher protein requirement, but other than that the care is the same.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store