Mysterious white film

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bear

AC Members
Jun 19, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
Visit site
Hey there
Ever since I orignally set up my tank I've had a sort of white film floating around the top of the tank...it almost looks like an oil slick only not rainbow-hued. Doesn't seem to bother anyone but I don't like the look of it and am concerned that it could someone block the aeration of the water (dunno how, just a general concern).
At first I thought it was phosphate (someone mentioned something like this in another, unrelated post) which I added indirectly through my plant fert - but have done several largish water changes since the last add and it's still there.
Water params are normal -
0 ppm Amon.
0 ppm Nitrate
60 on the hardness test (don't have the instruction booklet w/ me)
temp - about 74F
fish: 2 guppies, 2 endlers, 2 amano shrimp

Any thoughts or advice on how to get rid of it, or even if I should be concerned at all would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Surface film is pretty common--usually the source is your food--and most foods will do it. Increasing the surface agitation (not ideal for a planted tank), or see if you can add a surface skimmer to your power filter. I've had decent success turning a powerhead upside down so it pulls the water from the surface--it reduces the film without causing a bunch of agitation.

I don't think it's harmful, though I know it's not attractive. Oddly enough, the only tank of mine that does not get this film is the open topped frog tank!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store