10-year old sick Oscar

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aneff

Registered Member
Sep 5, 2010
Hi,

I have a 10 year old Oscar, Harry who I fear is very ill. He is in a 400 gallon tank with a couple plecos and a two clown loaches. I'm an experienced fish person and have had this tank for nearly Harry's entire life. I know there is nothing wrong with the tank: temp, water, lighting, etc...

Harry has been sitting on the bottom of the tank for the second day now which is not normal. He is usually very active and follows me around, especially if it's time to eat. Last night, he didn't eat when I put in his pellets. I fear he is getting close to the end of his life.

I know enough to know that most diseases can be easily mis-diagnosed and treatment can cause more pain than just letting nature take its course. If he is dying, I need to let him go but he deserves whatever I can do for him.

His flesh tone is lighter than normal but he seems to be swimming fine and isn't listing. He is breathing maybe a bit harder than normal but still has no problem nipping at the plecos if they come close. I've increased the stress coat and the aquarium salt level is added when I do weekly water changes. I've moved some plants around him as he wants to hide behind a rock on the floor of the tank. I'm thinking this gives him some more peace with the increased privacy.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Angie

Haydn24

Boo!
Jun 28, 2010
Australia
Real Name
Haydn
Maybe old age? :( I'm so sorry for his sickness. He must be pretty close to you especially after 10 yrs. Try putting some live food in there to get him active or up the temp a little but that's all I can suggest. Goodluck though.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Just to eliminate an issue, run an ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/pH tests with a good liquid test kit. There is always a chance that something has changed in your source water. Can't hurt to run them and up his water changes a bit.

aneff

Registered Member
Sep 5, 2010
Hi, I will run tests again. I'm headed out to buy new tests. This tank runs so well and I've been doing this so long, I can almost smell if something is off. I thought about water source issues but the fact Harry is sick versus one of the clown loaches makes me suspect it's him and not an environmental issue. Thanks for the tip.

aneff

Registered Member
Sep 5, 2010
He is an amazing fish. Anyone who has had a cichlid for a long time knows how intelligent and perceptive they are. Thanks for the tips. I'm also going to buy new water test kits (mine are probably too old) just to rule out something else.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Hi, I will run tests again. I'm headed out to buy new tests. This tank runs so well and I've been doing this so long, I can almost smell if something is off. I thought about water source issues but the fact Harry is sick versus one of the clown loaches makes me suspect it's him and not an environmental issue. Thanks for the tip.

Know that feeling about the tank switching up just by sense...:)

I too would expect the clowns being the first to show issues, but with the Oscar's age, maybe it struck him first....good luck and keep us posted.

aneff

Registered Member
Sep 5, 2010
So I've run tests on the tank and everything seems fine:

Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 40 ppm
PH - 6.8

The PH seems a bit low to be optimal but acceptable.

I inserted a new heater right next to Harry and turn it up to 79 degrees. Also added another group of plastic plants to make him more comfortable.

I increased the water into the tank which runs from into the outside filtration system below. Now I am finishing up a 25% water change.

I really don't think I can do anything else.

Harry seems to be moving a bit more but there has been a lot of activity in the tank today and he is a curious fish and needs to check everything out. Also, I think the increase heat has attracted the plecos to the space where the submerged heater has been placed and they might have pushed him out of his spot.

Thanks for all the tips. I think it's up to Harry now to decide if he is going to get better.

Piranha86

AC Members
Dec 26, 2009
Harford County Maryland
Real Name
Will
I agree with Haydn I think he may just be getting old. That's so cool you raised up one oscar in a 400g for 10 years. I doubt there's anything wrong with other params, it's pretty easy to keep stable water in a tank that big. Only thing I can think of is to buy another oscar for motivation...? Some fish just get old and it can really hurt when you lose a 'wet pet' like that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store