sick molly

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

carpenter547

The Desert Punk
Aug 11, 2010
imperial valley
Real Name
now that would be telling
hey i just put some mollies in my tank they are silver lyre tails. 1 male 3 females when i put them in *sadly it was a rushed qt* one had a fat lip. it looked like it had been bitten by another fish and was sore. in less than a day it dissappeared.

now one of my mollies after a week of being fine has what appear to be to large clear testies hanging out of where it poops.

my amonia spiked up to 0.25 ppm
the nitrItes went up to 1.0 ppm
the nitrAtes were at 20 ppm before the water change.
the salinity is 1.008 S.G.
the temperature is 82 - 80 degrees.

the sand substrate is clean all of thier food is eaten with in 10 minutes of putting into tank.
they all are gaining weight and swimming happy except for the one with the growths.

my filter is working.

the occupants are about 20 ghost shrimps. 4 mollies *as stated*, one violet goby 7 inches total 6 if not counting fin. the tank is a 37 gallon 30x12 foot print.

i will be posting pics.
is this a fungus? an injury? a parasite? part of molly birth?
any help would be appreciated.

thanks.

carpenter547

The Desert Punk
Aug 11, 2010
imperial valley
Real Name
now that would be telling
update:

sorry the growth isn't two round balls as is originally appeared.

it actually lookes like bowels or intestines. when i moved her to 2 gallon tank w/preggo ghost shrimp i got to get a good close up look. and it looks like a 1/8 inch thick translucent pinkish section of bowels i would estimate a total lenght of 3/8 - 1/2 inches long.

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
Hi carpenter....sadly, it looks to me like a prolapse of either breeding sac (basically the uterus of livebearer females) or intestines. In some googling the feeling seems to be split between those who say these can sometimes resorb into the body and the fish will recover, although probably not breed again, and those who say it is almost always fatal so euthanize now.

If you decide to wait and see if she recovers she should definitely be in isolation, preferably in a bare tank. You don't want that protruded body part to scrape against any decor or gravel.

uterine prolapse is actually not that uncommon in mammals, particularly those that bear large young frequently like cattle. I didn't know it could happen in fish. I have heard of fish with intestines prolapsing out the anus, those apparently have a better chance of recovery. The only "treatment" mentioned was to feed blanched vegetables like peas as this can help if the problem is with the intestine. If it's the egg sac this won't help but I can't see how it would make anything worse so it's probably worth a try.

good luck. ... :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store