Sabae Anemone won't take hold with his foot?!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
:1zhelp:There is zero damage to the foot/pedal column (I've investigated as thoroughly as possible). The tentacles are extremely sticky. It's mouth its closed. It accepts food from a perhaps too attentive clarkii clown. It's a healthy yellow/brown color. It responds to stimulus.

It doesn't wander around the tank. It stays directly in the indentation in the sand where I placed it with a gentle current. It's got excellent lightning that it requires. The only reason I know that it's foot isn't taking hold is that the clarkii sometimes nestles into it and tips it on its side.

I've tried placing a mesh basket over it for awhile because I was concerned the clarkii was disturbing it too much, but it made little difference. In fact, the sabae seems happier since I removed the cover as the Clarkii tends to feed it.

Does anyone have any advice on what I can do to help him plant his foot? He hasn't been swept away by the current yet (my powerheads have protective coverings). I just don't want him to be become stressed if he ever does end up sailing around the tank.

:1zhelp: :feedback:

Tasty Burger

AC Members
Mar 24, 2010
Theresa, NY
How long has it been in the tank? I know mine took a few days to adjust, and mine was also receiving "rough love" from my clarkii.. It attached after a day or two, and then moved where it wanted to be within two weeks..
Is it shrinking any? Have you seen the clarkii nibbling on it? If I remember, clownfishes will dispose of dying arms for the anemone. Might be a sign of trouble in the future.

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
The clarkii feeds it but doesn't nibble. It sleeps with it every single night, which tends to push away the sand and turn it almost on its side, but it rights itself as soon as the light comes on. It hasn't shrunk any and it responds normally to stimuli. It's been in the tank over a month now without planting it's foot. It's foot is even sticky as it sometimes has bits of sand stuck to it. Like I said, there is absolutely zero damage present. It's just... so odd.

The tank itself has execellent conditions and has been set up in my home for well over a year now. It's previous owner had it setup for many years and we transfered all live rock and water when we purchased it. Parameters are set specific to the sabae's requirements from what I've read. Tests haven't shown anything amiss.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
What specific conditions for this species have you read about? What is the initial condition of the specimen itself? Water quality-wise, they aren't demanding. They are, however, demanding in terms of the various stimuli they need to function properly, including substrate, food, water motion, and light.

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
What specific conditions for this species have you read about? What is the initial condition of the specimen itself? Water quality-wise, they aren't demanding. They are, however, demanding in terms of the various stimuli they need to function properly, including substrate, food, water motion, and light.
temp: 78 degrees. sand substrate. T5HO lightning. Light to medium water flow. The clarkii has been feeding it the brine shrimp but doesnt feed it when I use flakes. the anemone also accepts small bits of chopped fish. The anemone does appear slightly bleached but it isn't white or clear. Just a very light brown. It expands its tentacles and contracts them to take food. It rights itself if the clarkii flips it over. It's mouth stays closed unless its eating of course.

It's now located within a plastic container filled with small grain sand. Today I covered the top with mesh to prevent the clarkii from disturbing it for the time being. I'm wondering if the clarkii's love is too much for the anemone at the moment and preventing him from setting foot.

Last edited:

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
3.4-4 inch sandbed. I tried making and nice indentation for the sabae to settle in but the clarkii pushed the sand around it.

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
Now he is just sitting on top of the sand in his cup. He won't just stick his foot down in it... I guess I should be grateful he's right side up and accepting food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store