Compatibiloity of Dwarf (Powder Blue) Gourami and Dwarf Honey Gourami

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Edgar1

Registered Member
Sep 8, 2010
Need help with this. I've had a Dwarf Gourami alone in a 15 gallon tank a few weeks now, and decided to fully stock my tank. I bought 6 harlequin rasboras and one Dwarf Honey Gourami.

In truth I had been more worried about getting fish that would bother the Dwarf Blue (e.g. I decided against getting tiger barbs). I didn't really consider that he might be the aggressor.

The guy at the LFS said they'd be fine together as the two fish were "basically the same species."

Anyway, within a few minutes of being in the tank the Dwarf Blue went nuts, chasing the Honey around. It sure wasn't playing - it was very aggressive chasing--at lightning speed and all around the tank--and he wouldn't let it go.

This morning the Honey is cowering behind the heater, bothered occasionally by the other gourami. The chasing is not as extreme, but the Honey sure seems spooked.

I'm a newbie to this, so I'm not sure how to proceed. Should I wait to see if they settle down, or should I take the honey out immediately?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Most anabantoids do not mix very well, although there are some exceptions when it comes to specific species and even individual personalities.

The true honey gourami is Trichogaster/Colisa chuna. If the LFS worker was correct on saying they are basically the same species, you most likely have an orange variety of Colisa lalia which is also what your powder blue is...just your new one was labeled as a "dwarf honey" gourami. So really they would be exactly the same species.

Females are pretty drab so they are not stocked very often in stores. I bet you have two males which makes the mix almost impossible in that size tank. Even with a true honey I would remove which ever one you do not want.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store