Sick Figure 8's

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MuddyMudskipper

AC Members
Sep 2, 2010
Was investigating a new pet store and they had a couple of figure 8's in a very small space with some leaf fish. I have a tank ive been cycling with mollie fry and shrimps so I bought them, especially as they were cheap and sick looking and I couldnt bear to leave them there to probably die. They are very docile looking and appear to be slightly constipated and staying near the bottom of the tank. In fact one of them was floating belly up when I got him home but has recovered a little since I put him into the tank. The tank is a 15g which I know isnt good for them long term (i've got a 400 litre tank coming in 3 weeks) but I wanted to quarantine them and perhaps save these little guys with a view to them going in the much larger tank. They are now alone in the 15g as I've moved the shrimps / fry into another tank..

I did a water change before I put them in the 15g, nitrates/nitrites etc are v low / non-existent, salinity is approx 1.004...

I've got some intestinal parasite treatment and I've raised the temperature in case they are Ich infested...

What else would you recommend?

purplecandle

AC Members
Aug 17, 2010
treat the food and not just the tank with IP meds.

Being belly up is concerning,may have swallowed air. If the puffer does not get beetter soon you may have to burp it.

Other than that, give them a varied diet that will help wear down their teeth like snails, uncooked shrimp, and so on..

If they are constipated you could try Epsom salts.

RiVerfishgirl

AC Members
Jan 15, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
Real Name
Heather
Were they already in fw, or in brackish?

You may have raised the salinity too quickly.

But treating with internal parasite meds is a good idea (i've noticed a lot of puffers seem to be infected with them). Other than that, proper feeding and decent water quality should be the main treatments.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store