Food for bottom feeders

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Plague

O.o
Aug 4, 2010
Miami, Fl
Just wondering if there is a different, maybe better, type of food to use for my corries and kuhlis? Right now I'm using Hikari tropical sinking wafers. I don't have problems with it but it is very old lol. I'm just considering a change since I'm almost out of the wafers and maybe there is something out there that is better. I saw some sinking shrimp pellets for bottom feeders but I have a feeling it will never reach the bottom or it is too small to be noticed in a 55g. Thanks in advance.

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
Any kind of sinking pellets would be fine.

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
You could try out some snello (also called snail jello). The kind for fish wouldn't need so much calcium but it would offer some great nutrients.

My fish (Mollies and Black ruby barbs) LOVE the snello. I made mine without extra calcium and a lot of cale and if you saw them eat, you'd swear I starve them!

Plague

O.o
Aug 4, 2010
Miami, Fl
hmm I've read about snello but the lazyness gets me. I'll try it out as a treat. I guess I'll just get more hikari tropical wafers and maybe a small bag of shrimp pellets to give it a try. I just don't want to buy small pellets and then they get unnoticed and end up with a dirty tank.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
my cories (all 9 of them) love shrimp pellets.

if you are looking for a higher quality wafer than Hikari i would highly suggest the 'h2o stable' NLS (New Life Spectrum) wafers. although they are a lil more expensive than other wafers they are well worth it.

next time you're fish food shopping, read the labels. if there are any 'fillers' such as wheat anything, potato starch, etc. in the first 5 ingredients, don't buy it.

i'm also a big fan of the Omega food line, i like what i see on the ingredient lists.

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
While I'll admit, veggie snello is way easier than shrimpy snello, you'll need only maybe 4-5 shrimp.

1. Toss peeled raw shrimp into your food processor. Whiz until mush, set aside (alternatively, you can go all Iron Chef on the raw shrimp with a couple of knives).

2. In a microwave safe container, mix 1 pkg of unflavored gelatin into 6-8 ounces of veggie medley baby food (2 little jars or 2 small tubs).

3. Stir in 1-2 tsp additional fish food (freeze-dried bloodworms, flake, etc).

4. Microwave for 30-45 seconds, or until bubbling.

5. Carefully stir shrimp paste into warm veggie mix.

6. Spread onto a plate and refrigerate until firm (20 minutes).

Cut into postage stamp-sized pieces. Put a handful in a ziploc baggie & store in the fridge. The rest can be kept in the freezer (freezer ziploc or container w/foil) for several months.

(bad pic - it was lights out already)
082210 iphone dump 005.jpg

082210 iphone dump 005.jpg

Last edited:

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
For a little bit larger sinking pellet or small stick, I would recommend you try the Earthworm sticks from kensfish.com. They are greedily consumed by every bottom dweller I have as well as non-bottom dwellers. Packed full of the best ingredients as well.

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
Soaked tubifex worms sink to the bottom or thawed out brine shrimp. I also feed flakes to all my fish.

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
I feed my bottom dwellers earthworm stix, catfish flakes by Sera, mussel pellets, spirulina pellets, green beans, zucchini, peas, krill, flakes, NLS Thera+, and NLS Grow, among others. Also a full assortment of frozen foods including bloodworms, brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, tubiflex worms, spirulina shrimp. Just FYI, a pleco breeder/fish store owner in MI told me never to use shrimp pellets (not really sure why), but if he says so, I don't. Good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store