Is this normal with fidler crabs?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sammysaddiction

AC Members
Aug 22, 2009
I bought 4 fidler crabs today. I don't have any substrate in the tank but have some rocks, decorations, and one of those turtle ramp things (returning tomorrow so I can create a more natural look, got talked into it when I knew I didnt really want it LOL).

The crabs are not coming out of the water. Is this normal? Is it just because they are still scared from being moved? I haven't started getting them adjusted to a brackish tank yet. I didn't want to shock them too much, and will start adding the brackish water tomorrow.

They are eating and even fighting with each other. One of them keeps picking up a smaller one, and holding it above his head (I've named him Rocky LOL). Not sure what's up with that.

Thanks for any insight!

purplecandle

AC Members
Aug 17, 2010
I can't see your tank or know what access to the air they have, but they don't just typically run out into the open for air. They are super sneaky and will grab a gulp of air and run...and I am sure they see outside of the tank. Mine will stop eating if she sees me watching. So, no they probably have not come up for air...with you around!

Just make sure that they have good, easy access to air..

Don't worry about the brackish water, in nature they are use to fluctuations of salt in the water...Don't go super high/full marine to start with...but...you don't have to be freaked out about shocking them..

ddmiddle7

AC Members
Sep 30, 2010
Indiana
Fiddler crab questions

that would look neat, post some pictures when u get it set up! I am starting my 10gal crabitat tomorrow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store