Sculpey clay project

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

buffalobeal

AC Members
Aug 20, 2010
Tucson
Like many of you I just can't find exactly what I want at the store for my aquarium decorations, so I have decided to make my own. I really like the Styrofoam backgrounds that I have seen and would love to make one but I have fish in my tank right now and I read that you have to cycle your tank for somewhere around a month before adding fish, so this isn't an option for me. I want to use Sculpey modeling clay around PVC pipe for a portion of my project and clay around metal wire or tubing for another. From what I have seen PVC is safe to use as long as you follow all precautions with adding anything new to the tank, but I can't find any info. on whether Sculpey (or some other brand) is safe for aquarium use. I think I saw somewhere that metal isn't safe. Is there anyway to treat the metal to make it safe? If anyone has some helpful hints or actually knows about clay from experience, that would be awesome. The plan is to make a tree stump decoration with all the cool twisty gnarly roots for fish to hide in and then the top will double for my turtle basking platform. Just to add I tried to find a piece of drift wood that would work but none of the ones I found online were big enough or the right shape.

Ozymandias

Metaframe junky
Jun 4, 2008
NJ
Real Name
Roy
from what i know sculpey's main ingredian is Polyvinyl Chloride which i now is toxic. even after baking i'm just not sure how safe it would be especially if it was submerged in water for a long time so i wouldn't do it. if you do want to make structures i could actually use real clay and fire it in a kiln because i know that stuff is safe.

wespastor

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010

buffalobeal

AC Members
Aug 20, 2010
Tucson
Very cool stuff. I really like the rocks you created, rockhoe14er. I think this will work out well. I took ceramics a long time ago in high school, so this should be fun. Thank you all for your comments and help. My only conern is making the stump keep its form durring the firing process. I think I might have to alter my design a bit.

lookimawave

Registered Member
Aug 19, 2014
from what i know sculpey's main ingredian is Polyvinyl Chloride which i now is toxic. even after baking i'm just not sure how safe it would be especially if it was submerged in water for a long time so i wouldn't do it. if you do want to make structures i could actually use real clay and fire it in a kiln because i know that stuff is safe.
Uh oh, is this true for Fimo also? I read they are both polymer clays so I guess so :(. I have some anchoring plants, I guess I better dig it up and replace it with potters clay.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store