Lfs'

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

travelinman1969

AC Members
Oct 23, 2003
Lost Nation, IA
Visit site
I travel alot for my job, all over the USA and sometimes overseas, and I enjoy going to LFS to see the different species and see how LFS are taking care of their fish. Most stores are really nice and take care of their fish better than the big stores, but lately I have been getting discouraged. I'm in Provo, Utah now and looked up some stores in the yellow pages. 2 out of 3 are out of business. I've been seeing this the last year and it's pi**in' me off. :argh Is this happening everywhere? How are LFS fairing elswhere. If this is the trend it is certainly disturbing. I don't want to have to rely on the big stores for all my fish and supplies. :shake:

Last edited:

dethjam316

AC Members
Apr 6, 2003
south of nowhere, north of nothing
problem is---the petsmart and petcos of the world sell (usually) lesser quality fish, and thus they're cheaper...but more so: they sell things in considerably greater amounts so they can drop the prices. lfs just can't compete...if they drop their prices to compete with 'petuniverse/wal-store,' they risk losing any chance at profit. you can't maintain your business on quality livestock alone a lot of the time, unfortunately. i mean...raise your hand if you buy all your hardware at your lfs? i certainly don't...i can buy it at petsmart for 3/4 the price...or online for 1/2 the price. i would love to support the mom and pop stores of the world, but...i'm poor, too.

travelinman1969

AC Members
Oct 23, 2003
Lost Nation, IA
Visit site
I agree that you can buy stuff cheaper online or the big stores. I try to buy as much as I can from my LFS knowing my money is going to a good cause and that I will get high quality fish, and great service at the same time. Call it charity if you will, unfortunatly I can't use it as a tax writeoff. But point being is that if everyone keeps buying online pretty soon there will be no other selections but the big boys. Corporate america is really gettin crazy. Never thought I'd see the day when Big corps. take over the fish hobby. :rant:

andruboz

Senile Member
Jan 6, 2003
texas
home.satx.rr.com
i find the small stores that survive are staying in business thanks to service contracts for doctors, dentists, professional type offices. its darn hard to pay rent, insurance, utilities, wages, taxes, suppliers, etc etc when you compete with walmart with the novices and big als with the experienced fish keepers. the only fish seller in my mom's town was a toystore with a little fish room in the back and they just went out of business also.

my town [50,000 people?] supports 3 lfs. one has service contracts and is also a dive shop. one is a lfs/pet store. and the third specializes in mail order africans cichlids. without their other business ventures none would survive solely as a fish store.
i feel very fortunate to have this much choice.

Grandmastr

AC Members
Nov 19, 2003
Visit site
actually i find my lfs have better quality and alot cheaper fish than big chain stores(walmart,petsmart,petco), the hardware is about the same price between the big stores and my lfs

i always see at least a few dozen people at my lfs, so i know they are doin good business and is no bigger than a normal 1 story house.

dwf73

Gold Dragon
Oct 29, 2003
brooklyn, NY
Visit site
Move to asia! Everything is local run, and the quality is outstanding (once you find the right spots, of course). A little more inconvenient than driving to walmart though. I actaully never knew that people bought from large chains like that until I joined this forum. I have yet to go to one. Are the people who work there knowledgable at least?

blitzen25bm

AC Members
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
we have tons of LFS and only a few chain stores. most of the LFS, well the bigger ones they all have their specialties. and alot of them has been around since i was a kid; though some are gone now. i guess it depends on where you live, its probably because im in a big city.

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
I have two LFS's in my area and I don't know about the other fish but they sell neons cheaper than the petsmart upstate. My LFS's seem to be doing pretty well, but I think it might be due to the fact that wally-world doesn't carry fish and there are no petsmarts or petcos within a 15min drive. I know at least one tries to keep healthy fish (they do large water changes once a week, etc) but they have problems getting healthy fish from their wholesaler.

O-man21

30 FW, 6 SW, 2.5 SW
Dec 3, 2002
Des Moines, IA
The lfs I go too just moved into a bigger shore about six months ago. It's better located, and they have really good filter systems on the tanks and a nice selection (150 tanks). They've grown in the last year, they have great quality fish and a nice selection of products and hardware. While, yes, I admit, it usually about $.50-1.00 more then petsmart/petco/wal-mart, it's much better quality and I want to keep supporting them.:D

Adam's Aquatics if anyone lives in Des Moines Iowa.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store