Cichlid Feeding.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Haydn24

Boo!
Jun 28, 2010
Australia
Real Name
Haydn
Hi everyone,

Just a quick question...Im a bit confused. I have a small lake tang tank with Neolamprologus brichardi and J. Dickfeldi. Everywhere I read says that they can eat brine shrimp, bloodworms and flake etc etc. But my LFS said they can get cichlid bloat if they eat too much proteins. But worms and shrimp are protiens? no? So I dont know what to feed anymore, lol. I have been feeding them frozen marine food (vegetable matter and what not), some low protein cichlid pellets and brine shrimp for quite a while. And they all seem happy. So can anyone clear this up for me? Thanks! :)

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Yes Tanganyika's are mostly Carnivores and will except alot of proteins and some say pump them with the protein so they grow faster i haven't seen that done before but the fish you have chosen are carnivores and will do just fine with those foods but not as a staple diet i would do NLS pellet and a good flake and feed the worm treats every other two days or so.. The Tangs you have to watch bloat on are the Tropheus and Goby species along with a few more, I bet your LFS probably meant those or Mbuna and just may have had a brain fart..

RiVerfishgirl

AC Members
Jan 15, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
Real Name
Heather
I too think your LFS was mixing them up with mbuna, which are largely vegetarians and can get bloat on a high protein diet. Your tanganyikans should be fine with a high protein diet as the staple diet, but even carnivores can get bloat from time to time, so you probably want to add some fiber at least on a weekly basis to prevent such.

I myself feed most of my carnivores almost exclusively on quality high protein pellets (mostly Hikari Massivore and Carnivore pellets), which already have some fiber added in them.

Haydn24

Boo!
Jun 28, 2010
Australia
Real Name
Haydn
Okay! Thanks so much. I appreciate it. I will buy some hikari cichlid pellets. Pitt, what is NLS pellets? Thanks :)

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I feed my 15 or so 2-3" Mbunas omega super veggie in the morning and NLS 1mm pellets for lunch and dinner...they look awesome and happy.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
New Life Spectrum is in my theory the best but others will use something else like Danichi Foods which is great as well I feed all of my Tangs NLS 2mm and NLS flake and as a bonus i feed them Krill 2 to 3 times a week.. But yes you can bloat any fish for that matter just be cautious on what you feed..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store