Yellow Tang: Will he eat Halymenia Sp. macro algae?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
I have a nice little bush of Halymenia Sp. growing in my refugium. It's beautiful and I'd like to add it to the main tank. However, my yellow tang is quite the grazer. Would he nibble on it or possibly kill it?

What types of beautiful macro algaes would be great for a display tank that I wouldn't have to worry about Twitch (my yellow tang) eating?

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Toss some in main tank to see how you fishes react to it. You may even find some surprises as other tankmates may go for it as my file fish tend to chopped down certain algaes.

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
The problem is it's literally all one plant. I'm not sure how to prune it properly and as it's the only one I have, I don't want to risk messing it up. I'm just getting into the Macro Algaes besides chaeto so I guess I'm a little nervous.

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
The answer is yes, a yellow tang will devour Halymenia Sp. in a heartbeat! Good thing I only tried with a tiny clipping! I bet he would've eaten the whole plant within a minute!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store