Is this "too much" fish for a fluval edge...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

agapemom

AC Members
Aug 30, 2008
3 diamond tetras
3 glass cats
4 crystal shrimp
2 snails (small brown with tan stripes - sorry, don't know species)

If yes, can you compensate by changing filter media and water changes more often?

It is heavily planted.

TIA

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
I would think that was perfectly fine for a 5g, and the Fluval is 6, right? Go for it. :)

btw you are the first I've seen here to say they had one of these. I would really like a User Review on this. I think they're gorgeous and as soon as they get the price down to something even ridiculous (as opposed to Obscene, where it is now) I shall get one.

But how is it to actually use? It looks like it would be very difficult to get inside of, to plant and rearrange and all that. And did you get the teeny little siphon for cleaning? I saw that in the Foster & Smith catalog and have been wanting it for my planted tanks by itself. Does the light give nice brightness and how is the filter? Effective, noisy, any issues? Etc.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I would not put diamond tetras in a 6 gallon. First of all your really need several..6ish at least. Second mine are 2.5 inches and crazy swimmers. They are also big bodied fish. I just don't think that is enough room. Go with something smaller like espei rasboras.

agapemom

AC Members
Aug 30, 2008
Thanks everyone for their input. I bought this for myself for my birthday :) Yes it is a ridiculous price, but if well decorated can almost be worth the cost because it is stunning.

I so wish that I had the time to figure out how to post pictures, because (patting myself on the back here) my tank is b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l!

I didn't really have much trouble getting in there to arrange plants, rocks, driftwood, etc. It is a pain to add a bag of fish though if you don't remember to lower your water level (hint). Also, I took the rubber part of a squeegee out of its plastic holder and by hand use it to burp the bubbles off of the top. I do this by hand because you need an angle the straight plastic holder for the squeegee doesn't give you. In addition to the big bubbles that form when you add water, there is also a daily "gift" of tiny bubbles that form in the tank right in front of where the water flows in from the filter. I am an ocd-type perfectionist, so I tend to "squeegee" those bubbles out daily.

I did not get the tiny siphon - I already had a smaller one, but if I didn't have that, I think I could make do with a big one, except there wouldn't be any vacuuming of gravel in tight spots. I "might" get the special fish net and the magnetic scraper (I'd use the magnetic scraper to pop air bubbles mostly :) I might also get a heater in the winter, but we'll see (I live in FL and my house runs about 78 year round).

I find the light output insufficient. I have two, matching, gorgeous decorative lamps (that have directional pointing globes) on either side with 100W cfl light bulbs in them. I have low-light plants, but want to be sure they get plenty of light - enough to grow, not just survive. I also like to see in my tank. I have the fish tank light on a timer it comes on first in the morning (6AM when I get up) then about an hour later the lamps come on and it's show time! At night the lamps go off first then an hour later the aquarium light goes off. It is hot in the housing, but the heat does not get to the water.

I find the filter to be ok - I like bio-wheels, but that is a personal preference. I have two other filters like this one on other tanks, so I already trust that they work. It is not noisy.

I squeezed a purigen filter bag into my filter because my driftwood would NOT stop turning water tea colored even after 6 months of soaking and 6 15-minute boiling sessions - it is working to keep my water clear, but I had to buy a second because I'm having to recharge it weekly and I want one re-charged and ready to go while on is in the tank.

stephcps - I have 3 in there now and they are doing great. They really school! I was concerned because they are bigger bodied fish - that is why I wondered if I could compensate by extra filter and water changes???

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Are they full grown? When I got mine they were around an inch...but now easily 2.5+ inches. Don't get me wrong...I'm sure they are gorgeous in there...and my concern is not the bioload because I overstock all the time!! LOL You CAN compensate to a degree with water changes.
I just think they will be cramped. I think something smaller would actually look better. JMO

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
Bioload isn't much of a worry once you know what you're doing. Space is the issue here. Neither the Tetras nor the Catfish belong in an Edge.

agapemom

AC Members
Aug 30, 2008
I was afraid that "crampedness" was going to be the issue. I am really, really going to hate to see the diamond tetras go (the glass cats were a wish-list item, they aren't in there yet).

:thud:

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Sorry...they are beautiful fish. I have 20 of them!! :)

Look at rasbora espei...really pretty. Stay smallish. Nice deep red color. You could put 6-8 in there...it would be stunning!! They school really nicely.

Alternatively, I bought some gold ring danios from msjinkzd. They are small and gorgeous!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store