Identify this Substrate?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wanabedriver

AC Members
Mar 5, 2010
Can anyone help me identify this substrate? I got it from my LHS and the lady who helped me said it was a Hagen brand peat substrate, but I'm having a hard time finding it online...

(I think the white specs is dust. The substrate was in a styrofoam container.)

wanabedriver

AC Members
Mar 5, 2010
Nope, not sure at all. If I can find no trace of Hagen making a substrate that got distributed in the US, it may just be filter media...

Phosaurus

AC Members
Jun 18, 2009
Salinas, Ca
Did you...return it? :O

wanabedriver

AC Members
Mar 5, 2010
Did you...return it? :O
Nope, did not return it. I'm hoping it's something useful...

looks a bitlike ada soil, except larger
With the ada soil, can you crush it into a fine powder with your fingers? I'm trying to figure out if it is a good or bad thing that I can do this... The only aquarium 'soils' I've used before were the epoxy, come-in-neon-pink-colors substrates.

you could try asking around at a gardening forum.
An online gardening forum? Interesting idea... Might do that if I'm still lost.

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
Might be this stuff....intended for terrariums it says. And the site is UK, don't know if it's starting to become available in the US. Does suggest gardening forums may be the place to ask though. :)

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
Might be this stuff....intended for terrariums it says. And the site is UK, don't know if it's starting to become available in the US. Does suggest gardening forums may be the place to ask though. :)
i think maybe you grabbed the wrong link? that's certainly not coco fiber in the pic.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store