47g Column Project - Tank Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

deutsche20V

AC Members
Jul 5, 2008
Frederick, MD
www.myspace.com
Real Name
Stefan
Its probably a little early to start a tank journal considering it'll still be a couple weeks before the tank sees water but I received a bunch of equipment from MarineDepot today and was too excited not to post something :D This will be my first saltwater tank so I'm sure there will be some speedbumps along the way, but the goal is to create a low maintance, low impact reef/Zoa garden.

Planned Stocking:
2 Tank-Bred Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris)
1 Tank-Bred Neon Goby (Elacatinus oceanops)
1 Blue Spotted Jawfish (Opistognathus rosenblatti)
1 Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis)
?? misc hermit crabs & snails for "clean-up crew"
Mix of Various Zoas & Palys
2-3 ORA Aquacultured Long Polyp Leather (Sarcophyton sp.)
1 Aquacultured Neon Green Palau Nephthea (Nephthea sp.)

Equipment:
Skimmer - AquaMaxx HOB-1
Lighting - 20" Current USA Nova Extreme Pro T5HO 6x18W
Heating - Hydor Theo 200W
Circulation - ?

Just need to pick up some odds and ends (heater, thermometer, powerheads, backround, etc) and maybe replace the stand's glass door with something a little safer for my 10 month old. Then the excitement can begin :thumbsup:

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Certainly a different size tank for a normal SW/reef type tank, looks more like a seahorse tank. Good start, equipment, and stock list. Not sure if you have a top on that tank, but the blue spotted jawfish require a sealed top just so you know. Seen too many people lose them from jumping, and at $100-$150 a pop, it hurts a lot when you find them on the ground next to the tank.

deutsche20V

AC Members
Jul 5, 2008
Frederick, MD
www.myspace.com
Real Name
Stefan

Certainly a different size tank for a normal SW/reef type tank, looks more like a seahorse tank. Good start, equipment, and stock list. Not sure if you have a top on that tank, but the blue spotted jawfish require a sealed top just so you know. Seen too many people lose them from jumping, and at $100-$150 a pop, it hurts a lot when you find them on the ground next to the tank.
Yup, there's a glass lid on the tank. I've heard the jawfish's reputation as a jumper and hopefully I'm prepared. I've been keeping bichirs for several years and they are quite the escape artists as well. I'm planning to cut the lid with a very tight clearance around the skimmer and a small notch just large enough for heater/powerhead cords so hopefully it will safely contain the jawfish for many years to come :cheers:

deutsche20V

AC Members
Jul 5, 2008
Frederick, MD
www.myspace.com
Real Name
Stefan

Terrible Shot, but finally some progress! Got the backround on and filled the tank. Will check & adjust the salinity tommorrow, try to figure out the skimmer, and pick up 2-3 Koralia Nanos instead of the monstrously intrusive Koralia 2. Then it'll be ready for live rock and sand. Woot!

Only hiccup is that I am planning on using the glass lid that came with the tank to insure my jawfish doesn't jump ship, but when I did a test fit tonight the skimmer comes too far into the tank. In other words I need to trim the glass, not just the plastic strip in the back of the lid. :irked:

Last edited:

deutsche20V

AC Members
Jul 5, 2008
Frederick, MD
www.myspace.com
Real Name
Stefan
We're getting there! Went to the LFS tonight and ended up with 16.28 lbs of base rock, 34.1 lbs of live rock, and 40 lbs of Caribsea Ocean Direct 'Pacific Black'. Definatley still need more live rock and to rework the column a bit, but its getting there. I lucked out in that one of the managers had just torn down a personal tank so I was able to get some well cured pieces with nice coraline growth.

Also found a bunch of brittle star hitchhikers...

From what I've read they are reef-safe but may disrupt my DSB. Is that accurate?

Oh, and I HATE sand...

Thanks for looking :thumbsup:

deutsche20V

AC Members
Jul 5, 2008
Frederick, MD
www.myspace.com
Real Name
Stefan
Just installed my Aquamaxx HOB-1 skimmer tonight - not too sure about it yet. First of all, the hangers are way too short, which means the adjustment screws tighten into the tanks top trim instead of the glass. Seems like it was designed for rimless tanks, but they make no mention of that. Also the instructions state not to completely immerse the return tube, but thats impossible unless I lower the tank's water level a couple inches. I'm also getting a lot of bubbles in the tank, but I'll chalk that up to "break in" and hope it calms down. Skimmer seems nicely made and its reasonably quiet but maybe I should have listened to the LFS and picked up a Reef Octopus :irked:

Haydn24

Boo!
Jun 28, 2010
Australia
Real Name
Haydn
Looks good! Keep going :D

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Looks good so far and I dig the bumper sticker :headbang2:.

AquaMaxx is one of the better brands. If I remember correctly, their design was basically from the Warner Marine HOBs that were discontinued, which were also good skimmers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store