Sorry...another stocking idea thread.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bwana

AC Members
Jan 24, 2004
Visit site
Sorry for making yet ANOTHER stocking suggestions thread, but I dont know what to do. :p

I have a 20g tank, non-planted, water conditions are all good. Ph is about 7.5
What i have right now:
3 Zebra Danios
2 Serpae Tetras
1 Swordtail

1 idea I had was, add 2-3 more tetras, 1-2 more zebras, MAYBE another swordtail, and a single/pair of "center-peice" fish. (maybe angels?)

I also thought of replacing the Serpae's with a school of neons instead, as the Serpaes dont really do it for me, and they dont seem to like the zebra's very much.

So...any ideas guys and gals? :rolleyes: :D :cool:

NJ Devils Fan

#1 Devils fan
Oct 28, 2002
Yonkers, NY
members.tripod.com
Give me the Serpaes so I can add them to my school.;)

Instead of neons, I would go with cardinals, about 6-8. Also, a few cories as a cleaning crew would be good.

HarmonyAZ

AC Members
Jan 9, 2004
Visit site
I have zebra danios and serpaes, too. My 10 cardinal tetras are the coolest thing in the tank. Everyone gets along fine.

I've never had angels but would read up on them before buying. They seem to have some special needs.

Bwana

AC Members
Jan 24, 2004
Visit site
So...if I keep my current stock. How many of each can i have? Zebra's, Serpae's, and Cardina(or)neon's?

Would 5 of each be too much? Can i have more then 5 of each?
You say you have 10...but what size tank?

Once again, thanks for the help. :D

Captain Hook

Looking for ideas
Aug 21, 2003
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Angelfish get way too big for a 20 gallon. They will be nearly as tall as the tank! Considering that cardinals get to be around 2" I wouldn't get more than 6 for a 20. What kind of filter do you have on the tank?

Also I should add that swordtails get to be pretty big. They can easily reach a thick 4". Depending on your filtration I would say you would be at the limit with:

3 zebras
1 swordtail
2 serpaes
6 cardinals or neons

I personally think the nicest "show" fish for a 20 gallon is a dwarf gourami. You can get the regular dwarf (red with blue lines), powder blue (all bright blue), fire (orange with small blue section), and others.

Bwana

AC Members
Jan 24, 2004
Visit site
So...would....hrm...
If i take out the Serpae's or Zebra's and add to the one I DONT take out...sorry...random thoughts going through my head.

5 Serpaes (or) Zebras
5 Cardinals (or) Neons
1 Swordtail
1 Dwarf Gourami

Would that work?

The filter is currently a Whisper 20, but that can always be upgraded, if needed.

What about Tiger Barbs instead of the serpae/zebras?

So many choices, so little space. (and so little money to get more space :rolleyes: :D )

Last edited:

sumoschro

Gold Thunder
Aug 16, 2003
Portland, Oregon
how's about this:

3 cories
6 cardinals/serpaes/danios
1 Swordtail
1 dwarf gourami

If you wanted, you could take out the swordtail and add a couple more cardinals, serpaes or danios, depending on which you have in there. The dwarf gourami I have in my 29 gallon is a Cinnamon dwarf, and it is all bright red and orange from head to tail..It would look good with the cardinals or serpaes, and depending on the color of your swordtail it would look good with that too.

Bwana

AC Members
Jan 24, 2004
Visit site
Well....I just threw a wrench in the works. I got 2 Dwarf Gourami's. One Powder Blue, and one normal. Only been in the tank for 10 minutes, but they seem to be adjusting ok.

Do the cory's make that much waste? Or do they clean up enough to negate the waste they make?

So how's this:
5 zebra/cardinal (dont want the serpaes :eek: )
2-3 Cory's
2 Dwarf Gourami's
1 Swordtail

That work?

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store