Brackish tank alge problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Brackishtank

AC Members
Jun 6, 2010
New Zealand
I have a well set up BW tank with 1 F8 3 Silver scats 2 monos 1 molly in a 55 gallon tank.The alge brown nitrates at about 100ppm salt roughly at 1.009 doing 1/3 water change every 2 days to help fight the ugly problem.Please tell me anything else i can do
cheers

carpenter547

The Desert Punk
Aug 11, 2010
imperial valley
Real Name
now that would be telling
since no one has responded yet i will suggest getting a violet goby *if you can want* and about 20 ghost shrimps.

i know they don't eat the algae very much but alot will knock it down some. and they remove alot of the cause of the algae.

scrape off the big stuff and try that mabey plants would help.

if i am wrong some one will correct me on that :) just my 2 bits though.

steve18

AC Members
Aug 23, 2005
White Plains, NY
i also have algae issues in my brackish tanks, but only green algae (my freshwater tanks have none). I bought 10 olive nerite snails (i think from mgamer), and put them in my 10g. they work amazingly well. but when i tried to move them up to my 75g with my large fish, if the snails are on gravel, they all simply get bowled over from the turbulence of fish swimming by, so i moved them back to the 10g. so now i rotate the algae covered decorations from the 75g to the 10g, let the snails scour them (it's amazing how thorough they are), and put them back. the glass is going to need scraping. my nerites have doubled in size from very small pea to large pea, but unless they get really big, i think this is the best i can do.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store