Apple Snail has Huge BUBBLE in flesh

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fish Kate

Don't Eat the Puppies
Sep 9, 2005
Chicago
My apple snail, who I raised from an egg almost 6 years ago, has overnight developed a big air bubble that protrudes from his flesh and will not allow him to go in his shell.

He's NOT dead -- but I'm worried that he soon will be! Can anyone help? Has anyone ever seen this before? Does anyone know what's going on? There's nothing wrong with his water, food, etc. -- all exactly the same as always. Tank mates/decor have not changed in over a year, and they never bother him except to eat the algae off his shell.

snail bubble.jpg snail bubble 2.jpg

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Collapsed lung.:(

Possible collapsed lung or water-filled lung if the behavior lasts for more than a few hours. Take the snail out of the water for 15 minutes letting it sit on a flat surface. If it breathes, place it back in the tank.
If this doesn't work, post there all details of your tank specs. Donya may be able to help.
http://www.applesnail.net/forum3/viewforum.php?f=9

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Awwwwww. Hope it gets better!

Fish Kate

Don't Eat the Puppies
Sep 9, 2005
Chicago
Thank you - I took him out and he's breathing but still in the same condition. Will replace him in the tank and hope for the best. I will post the question on the applesnail website but am still waiting for my registration to use the site -- in the meantime I found this...

http://www.applesnail.net/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16600&p=138474&hilit=bubble+on+snail#p138499

by Donya on Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:57 pm
It looks like the mantle has separated from the shell and the lung is extruded whiel inflated. This isn't a condition I have ever seen first hand (since usually the lung collapses and isn't able to hold air, but in this case that doesn't apply), only from photos. There is nothing really to do unfortunately
all snails I've seen mentioned with this condition have not lived for very long after it occured.

Am very sad, as he's been my favorite since he was the size of a pinhead.

Fish Kate

Don't Eat the Puppies
Sep 9, 2005
Chicago
Also found this on fishforums:

Guys

My apple snail appears to have completely come out of his shell and a big air bubble is protruding from him. he is not moving and I fear the worst...

Any ideas??

Posted 30 July 2006 - 11:09 PM
Sounds like a collapsed lung. Unfortunately it sometimes happens. There was nothing you could have done for him, other than keep him comfortable.

If he's completely out of his shell he's likely already dead. They go limp and just kinda slide out. Is he reacting at all if you pick him up and gently touch his body with a damp finger? If he does react, and you don't feel completely sure he isn't already gone, you can wait and you'll be able to tell by the smell. They start to smell fast once they're gone. It's been the only way I've been able to tell when a couple of mine have passed.

I'm sorry.

This post has been edited by wodesorel: 30 July 2006 - 11:09 PM

I am so bummed.

MacMyers

AC Members
Sep 14, 2010
Palm Harbor, FL
Real Name
Mac Myers
Sorry to hear this.

This sounds dumb... but I wonder what would happen if you put a tiny hole in there to deflate it? Maybe if it could get back into it's shell it might heal up.
I dunno..... :eek:mg: But if the animal will die anyway I'd try something. I don't know of any Invert Vets.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store