started dosing fertz but ran into a problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rockhoe14er

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
Richmond VA
Real Name
Sean
Alright so i started to dose fertz in my planted tank and after each week you need to do a 50% water change.

well my fish tank pH is around 6.4 and my tap water is closer to 7.6. Some of my species are sensitive to pH changes so what i have to do is a 10% wc every three days. Is this fine to do instead of the 50% change weekly? will this mess anything up?

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
I'll be honest - I don't use ferts in my planted tanks. However if you're doing about 20% in water changes a week and are not able to do the recommended 50%, I would reduce the dosage of ferts accordingly to prevent it from accumulating too much in the water. Just my thoughts... Hopefully someone else can be of more help.

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris
co2 based pH fluctuations are not harmful because your TDS is still staying the same. This is probably the cause for 1 of the pH shift. wood and cork probably only account for the .4 in your change. Long story short, thats fine. My tapwater is about 8.6, and my pH injected tank water is around 7. i do weekly 50% changes and everybody is a-ok

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
or you can do 2 - 35% w/c's weekly. that's 70% on your back (carrying buckets, digging around in the soil, etc.) but still under 50% on your tank. your tank's still losing out and so are you on the deal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store