Brichardi Qestion,

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aquaninja

AC Members
Sep 23, 2010
Ca.
Real Name
Aquaninja
I currently have 5 fish, 2 Kribs (pretty obviously a M/F combo soon to breed) and 3 Brichardis.

The Brichardis seem pretty friendly to eachother in general, with an occasional little charge, or bursts of attitude. The largest is about 3 inches. 2 of them have the large moon shaped tail, and the smallest of the 3 has a much less impressive tail fin.

They do not seem to have any particular pair going on. Maybe I have 3 boys, or 3 girls? Is there any way to sex them? I have heard it is near impossible without waiting for them to breed.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
They are pretty difficult to sex. Usually bigger ones are male and males will sometimes develop a hump on their head. The best way to tell for sure is venting. Usually to get a pair you need to start with more individuals. Just having a male and female will not always work with pairing fish.
What size tank? I don't think the kribs will be able to stand up to the brichardi aggression once they start breeding. Brichardi have been known to take over an entire 4 foot tank. In a smaller tank they've been known to kill off other tankmates when breeding. They do best in a species only tank IMO.
The water parameters needed to get these two types of fish to breed are also quite opposite.

Aquaninja

AC Members
Sep 23, 2010
Ca.
Real Name
Aquaninja
hmmm

Its a 40 gal wide. So... The larger of the two, have a bit of a hump on head, the smallest not so much, but its head does also seem to hump out a tiny bit.

Im starting to think they are three males. Two with good genes, and the third possibly a gimpy "special" male.

Although, if they where to breed, and they killed my Kribs, I would not be happy. The male Krib is twice their size. The female about the same, in a more short compact shape.

Im thinking of setting up this 20 gal i got. Maybe move the Brichardis and try some other tankmates with Kribs? Will Kribs be nice to little schooling fish?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store