"freshwater" moray to saltwater?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jbellx3

AC Members
Feb 7, 2004
santa rosa, ca
Visit site
I have a "freshwater" moray eel (Echidna rhodochilus) that I keep in brackish water (SG~1.010). He is out growing his home and I would like to put him in my saltwater aquarium with my mexican dragon eel, puffer and clown trigger- this aquarium is 150gl. Knowing that there is no such thing as a truly freshwater eel, would it be alright to transfer him? Any help would be great!!

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
Welcome to Aquaria Central! I haven't researched the scientific name but I believe it to be the Freshwater Snowflake Moray? If so then they do prefer being in saltwater so will be fine, but make sure both eels can have their complete bodies covered via live rock so the Clown Trigger can't go after them. Anyway, hope this helps and good luck.

Dale W.

Formerly known as "Reefscape"
Oct 7, 1998
Koloa, Kauai, Hawaii
www.TheKOR.org
Even though they call Echidna rhodochilus a fresh water eel, it really is brackish and does best as that. I have seen them switched to salt in the past but I am not sure on the longevity of the eel in doing this. If you do change him over, you will need to make the change slowly over a month or so. I would also suggest lowering the salinity of your salt tank to help meet the eels needs.

Do you have anything other than the fish that you mentioned in the tank?
What is the present salinity?

Dale W.

Formerly known as "Reefscape"
Oct 7, 1998
Koloa, Kauai, Hawaii
www.TheKOR.org
I answered your PM but I also wanted to post the message that I PM'd you so others could see it as well.

"You mention that you have a moderate reef. Does this mean you have some inverts in the tank? Any coral or anything like that. The reason I am asking is you should drop the salinity to about 1.017 for part of the aclimation. Going from 1.010 to 1.017 is still quite a jump and most marine fish can handle 1.017 without a problem. Its the inverts that dont handle the lower salinity as well.

The SF aquarium is in concurance with what I had mentioned based on the same thing which is longevity. I know they can handle the change but for how long I dont know."

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store