Frilly Mushroom Coral

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
I have a Frilly Mushroom about 3 inches in diameter that has several 'shoots' or 'stalks' coming off its base. Is this how they spread? They are part of the mushroom but are quite thin in diameter and short in comparison. Anyone have these or know a good site to retrieve information on how these reproduce and if this is a sign of it?

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Sounds like it is multiplying. Here is a picture of some ricordeas I had that used to multiply like crazy. They stretch their foot/base out and then tear off a piece and the little piece of the foot that is left behind will grow into a new mushroom.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Are you talking about "Green Hairy Mushrooms"? If so, they were one of my first corals. When I bought them they had just split and were tiny.... I didn't know they got to be huge and I had to get rid of them because they were too big for my taste. Here are 2 pics.. one when I first got them, just tiny pieces, and 1 month later when they formed and grew up.

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
Those look enormous compared to mine! The Frilly Mushroom I think is a little different from the hairy mushroom (at least what I read and saw on Meleev's reef). Mine is only 3 in. diameter when fully extended and it has very short multi-branching tenacles. So I guess I'm not positive if they are the same species or similar species but they definately have similar characteristics from what I understand.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store