hey i am new too rift lake cichlids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Krib

AC Members
Sep 9, 2006
i am not new too keeping fish, just new to the rift african lake ones. so here is the story, i am now boared with my current fiffty five gallon set up and would like to do somthing i have never done before. that would be set up a rift lake type setup.
So just a few questions about my new project, i know most of the decor will be in rocks, i need to know what types work best. I also know that i would like some green, and would anabis work for this. And i also know that i might put in some wood, is this at all ok or would it ruin the aquarium set up.
Next on that list is what type of fish would you recomend for a begging Rift lake setup, and how many fish might i be able to stock my fiffty five gallon with.
And yet another next, i know sand is used most of the time in these types of set ups, what type of sand is best and would calcium gravel work (like the type sold for saltwatwer)
Thanks for the advice

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
I LOVE Tanganyikan cichlids. I would suggest a school of cyprichromis for the main body of the tank, and pick a julidochromis you like (marlieri burundi is my fav), and then get some shell dwellers for the middle bottom where you can put a lot of shells. Brevis or Occellatus are good shellies for a tank like this. I could go on all day about different options, but I think that would be a great start. They're so fascinating. I use plain white pool filter sand, drift wood, and lace rock mainly. Plus any limestone I come across that I like. For plants, hygro polysperma works well. You can see the layout of one of my tanganyikan tanks in this vid of mine, to get an idea of a good way to set up a tank that keeps them happy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPQGVYPl7nghttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPQGVYPl7ng

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
:iagree:

Just make sure to get non jumbo Cyps. Only problem is they are not cheap and dont ship well. You could certainly do without them or add bows instead for the top level...

Of course there's always mbuna. Lots of options with them.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Mbuna tank!

So for a 55 gallon display tank I highly recommend a large group of Ps demasoni(15 or so) and a group of yellow labs(Labidochromis Caeruleus). Usually 6-7 labs do the trick. Add in some pool filter sand and some nice rocks and BAM a colorful, active display tank. You could also add some syno petricola for bottom dwellers.

There are many other mbuna options if you want to go that route. Just remember for a 55 gallon you are looking at 2-3 species with 4-5 individuals per species.

Mbuna tend to eat plants so I used plastic in mine. A couple months ago I added some vals and they are doing ok. They are growing faster than they are being eaten. My mbuna tore up hormwort, anubias, java fern and water lettuce.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
All above is sound advice but i think you would be better off starting with Mbuna species and if i can suggest don't skimp on the decor go out and get some nice Caribsea sand they have different types for your taste i prefer Tahitian moon sand use Texas Holey Rock they love the Holes in the rocks plus these two types of decor will aid in the higher buffers which African cichlids need..

Beginner stock list..

6 Yellow Labs
6 Afras
10 Acei

1 Synodontis high fin

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Don't use driftwood, unless it is one previously used for a few months in a tank. New driftwood may turn the water slightly yellowish brown and lower the water pH a little bit.
I suppose that by calcium gravel you mean crushed coral gravel; you can use it in a mbuna tank, but I prefer the Caribsea sand; as Pittbull said. Of course, it is your choice.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Caribsea stuff pwns. I use aragamax (spell check) with tahitian moon sand for glare and my little buggers love it.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
You would Pappy LOL i have it in my 50gal setups its ok now but wow i hate the stuff but its good if your are on a budget and water hardness isn't an issue..

Krib

AC Members
Sep 9, 2006
Hey still looking at the cichlids you all listed, and i have found some rock stuff for hard water cichlids, and have sand at my desposeal as well. Yes the stuff i was look for the name of was crushed coral (thanks). Um yes i am looking at stuff for the abbility to buffer water, becuse tap is nutral, and i live iun alaska. Also um i was planning on a mix gravel sand, go into that in a bit. For the drift wood, the peices i am looking at hvae been in my aquarium for ever over i think at least eight months so no problem with them messing with the PH.

This would be a first lay out of the aquarium, so tell me what you think about it and any problems that i would face with a layout that looks like this, thanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store