Succulent experts: can I get away with a pot with no holes?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
I've read in several places, that succulents will not do well without proper draining, and that a pot with holes is mandatory.

I have a pot that's been set aside for a succulent garden for a while now, and after a recent trip to the NY Botanical Gardens, we now have the succulents for the planting... but once I started reading up, I realized our pot has no holes.

The pot is elongated, about 3" deep, 12"x4". It's glazed ceramic.

So the question is, with a 1"-1.5" drainage layer, and 1.5" of soil/sand mix on top, do you think it will get enough drainage? or will it be impossible to keep root from rotting in a small, undrained container?

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Why not drill a drainage hole? It's too shallow imo for it to work.

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
I have seen shallow dishes done that way Mellow. Just make sure you dont overwater and you should be ok....Let us know if you proceed and how it works out - I also have a shallow ceramic dish that is just yearning for a cactus garden! LOL

Thechindude

Registered Member
Sep 27, 2010
It won't work with terrestial plants...succulents in particular. They need lots of sand in their soil mixture & definitely drainage. Roots prone to rot if not allowed to dry completely between waterings.

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
I think you could make it work if you were extremely careful about watering. If you misted heavily instead of actually watering, and left a skewer in there, so you could periodically pull it out to ensure that there wasn't any water pooling at the bottom, it could work out. You'd have to get a feel for how much to mist so as not to ever have standing water in the drainage layer though.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
That could work. Pots without drainage hole is usually said to be bad for succulents due to the fact that most need good drainage since they are desert plants. However some succulents actually dont mind the extra water. My biggest concern would be if kept outdoors that they would get flooded whenever it rains. So a cover would be need or they would need to be brought inside. After there fully established you will probaby only have to lightly water them once a week. Depending on the species you got though.

Any pics or ID's on the plants you plan on putting in there???

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Jades cant handle large amounts of moisture though. Some succulents can. Thats why it depends on the type the OP has in mind. Also you may have just over watered your jade. =-) Just think of this as a 5gal fish tank. Its harder to maintain but it is possible to maintain if you got the patience.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store