Bottom feeder for 20 long multi tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
I am looking for something that feeds off the bottom for my 20 long multi tank. The water in the tank is VERY hard with a ph nearing 9. I was thinking shrimp but would they be ok in that hard water and would the multis eat them? Any suggestions are welcome.

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
A small group of syno Synodontis lucipinnis would be perfect. They are usually mislabeled as syno petricola. They are a neat catfish from the same lake so they would love the water parameters. They take a while to grow as well.
Thanks I will have to check those out, I will probably have a heck of a time finding them though :)

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
My multis almost tore my BN to shreds the instant I added her to the tank...had to remove her to my community tank. It's hard once they've already established their territories but some have no problems mixing the two species.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Common fish that like to stay on the lower strata generally don't mix well with cichlids...cories and such will just get themselves heckled to death.

Why do you want a fish on the bottom? Interest or, clean up duty? Otocinclus might be ok, most aggressive fish like dwarf puffers ignore them. Any common shrimp, I'm sure, would be eaten...although I don't know about giant shrimp like Macrobrachium sp. :) They might eventually eat the multis though, lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store