POLL CAST YOUR VOTE NOW

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

how many cardinal tetras in a 14 gallon biocube?

• under 11

Votes: 17 50.0%

Votes: 4 11.8%

Votes: 1 2.9%

Votes: 3 8.8%

Votes: 4 11.8%

Votes: 2 5.9%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 2.9%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20+

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters

m8r8j

AC Members
Aug 16, 2010
how many cardinal tetras in a 14 gallon biocube planted?

this will be the only species in the tank

30% weekly water changes to reset ferts

Last edited:

DestinyCall

AC Members
Sep 29, 2010
I would recommend a modest school of seven cardinal tetras. If you wanted a larger school, I would suggest trying a smaller breed like blue or green neon tetras. You might be able to do 9 or 10 of these fish and they look very similar.

Cardinal tetras are small, slim-bodied fish so the Inch per Gallon rule of thumb works fairly well for estimating appropriate stocking levels. The important thing is to count the fish based on their expected ADULT size rather than the size at time of purchase, to avoid over-stocking the tank. Cardinal tetras can grow to about two inches in length, so a 14 gallon tank could safely house about seven of these fish, with no other occupants.

Ideally, you would also want to prepare the tank for these fish by establish the biological filter before adding livestock through fish-less cycling. This would minimize stress on the fish and allow a smooth transition from the pet store to your home. It just takes a little patience while you wait for the tank to settle in.

Last edited:

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
Let's just say some people have more conservative ideas about stocking than others. And that I have never seen a cardinal get anything like 2 in long! Those I have had are indistinguishable, size-wise, from neons.

In a 14 you could do a stunning ADA style landscape and the cardinals would be like birds in a sky. Okay, maybe my vote for 20+ was a little exuberant, but I would think under the WC specs you listed 15 or so would be easily handled and a cory or two for cleanup and variety could also be accomodated. Don't forget the shrimp! :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store