Smooth White Bump on Wen

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

StarieNite

AC Members
Jul 9, 2009
First off I can' answer questions on water quality yet. I ran out of testing solutions and then ran out of money.

I have two orandas in a twenty gallon tank. I have a HOB filter and a RFUGF both in place over a year now. A red oranda and a red cap. The Red cap is the older of the two and a little bit bigger. Today my daughter noticed a smooth white bump on the wen of the red one. He is still active and swims normally. The red cap doesn't have anything on him and is also behaving normally.

Nibble has had wen growths before but they have always been much smaller. Just want to make sure that nothing is wrong with my little guy.

DSC01669.JPG

kelly82

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Lincolnshire, UK
aww poor little guy. 20g is very much on the small side for orandas IMO. mine werent happy in a 100g i had to move them back into a 180g. how long have you had them? how big are they? how often do you do partial water changes and how much?

no idea what the white lump could be, we had one a while back who came to us with a white lump like this, one day she swam under a piece of driftwood we had and half pulled it off :eek3: i knocked her out with clove oil and had to snip it off as it was hanging there wiggling in the water flow :barf:, it healed beautifully and never reappeared but i wouldnt say its a good idea to do this if there wasnt a need to. wait until someone with a little more knowledge comes here and see what they say.

maybe time for an upgrade, 30g or even 40g would be good for these 2. they can grow huge, my biggest oranda is nearly 9" long. the biggest one ive grown on myself i got at just under 1" last year, and she is now just over 4". the bigger the tank the better the water quality between water changes. its a plus plus for the fish, and it will make your life easier in the long run as in a 20g it will be harder to keep the water quality stable.

StarieNite

AC Members
Jul 9, 2009
I know they can grow big and at this time the are still smallish and we do plan to upgrade when we can afford a bigger tank. I do weekly water changes (15%-20%) with deep gravel vacuuming. I don't over feed

StarieNite

AC Members
Jul 9, 2009
Well happily the lump is gone. So it may have been a larger wen growth then I am used to. I never was able to touch it. He was far to fast to try that and I didn't want to stress him out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store