DIY CO2 in 10 Gallon Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Detox

AC Members
Feb 5, 2004
Visit site
I have a 10 gallon planted tank, aqua clear mini filter and a few tetras. I don't really care too m,uch about the fish but I want the plants to strive.

I had created a DIY CO2 kit which worked too well because I almost killed my fish by overdosing them with CO2, after one night of CO2 injection the CO2 in the tank was 142 mg/l (pH 6.2 KH 5)

How do you setup you use your DIY with your 10 gallon?

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
Rate, volume, efficency and retention

You can vary the rate, the volume or the efficency to control the CO2 in the aquarium.

Volume -- Using a smaller bottle is the first thing to try IMO. A 1 liter bottle is enough for a 10 gallon tank. Try a really large Coke bottle, 20 oz.

Rate -- Use less yeast, less sugar.

Efficency -- Change the way you are dissolving the gas into the aquarium. If you have a Hagen ladder, set the input line in the center of the ladder instead of the bottom. If you can, change to a less efficient method, in the filter input insted of a sealed reactor.

Retention -- Also, you can increase the surface agitation in the tank and control the Co2 by increasing losses. Maybe the top is too covered up, open some of the covers on the back of the hood. Lower the water level a bit to alllow some drop from the filter.

Glad you didn't kill anything. It is always best to start out slow, then increase volume or rate or efficency or retention as needed to get to where you want to be.

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
Orrrrrrrrrr, save yourself a bunch of aggravation and pick up some Seachem Flourish Excel and follow the directions.
For a ten gallon tank it won't cost you a bundle and will be easier to adjust.

Len

Detox

AC Members
Feb 5, 2004
Visit site
Len,

I have zero experience with the Flourish Excel, does it make a "noticeable" difference?

My goal with the tank is nice plants, not necessarily the fish.

Detox

AC Members
Feb 5, 2004
Visit site
How do I test the CO2 concentration if I use Flourish Excel? If it doesn't affect the pH than how can I use the KH/pH chart to determine?

anonapersona

Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
worth trying first

Try it, it may be all you need, no testing, just follow the directions.

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
Exactly, all you have to do is follow the bottle's directions and the product will do a terrific job for you in supplying Carbon.
In short, yes it should make a noticeable difference in plant growth.

One other thing......remember that fish are an important part of the equation. And hopefully you want to balance the tank so that their best interests are met while at the same time, growing nice plants.
Len

anonapersona

Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
For a small tank like a 10, Excel is the easiest thing. Dose as directed only.

If you have started DIY CO2 and have all the stuff collected, then do that. All you need is to lower the rate you had. DIY will be cheaper in the long run than dosing Excel daily or less. DIY has a few other issues, leaks and spills, varying rate.

If you didn't have DIY CO2 collected, you could also use the Nutrafin/Hagen CO2 system. Higher startup costs than Excel or DIY (but not by much), low running costs like DIY, less leaks, same varying rate, much neater and cleaner than DIY but more junk than Excel..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store