10 gallon Shrimp/reject tank :P

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Callmeconfused

The sad effect of sleep deprivation
Jul 25, 2010
Gainesville, Florida
Real Name
Kimi
First of all, i blame you people for this....just wanted to share that:crazy:

My 5 gallon Heinz 57 tank is now going to be upgraded to a 10 gallon...woohoo! It currently contains- Plants: Temples, rotala, mondo grass, dwarf hairgrass, and a deflated marimo ball. Critters: 2 RCS, 2 Neon Tetras, 2 Silvertip Tetras who think they're neons, and two B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L Briggs.

I will be using the gravel from the 5 gallon (I used WAY too much of it to begin with) and the filter from the 5 gallon (meant for a 10 gallon and I've had to keep it on a minimal flow...my dumb tetras like to try and "ride the wave":nilly:). Also using the same plants.

I should post pics tomorrow, if I get it done then, lol.

I would like to add a patch of ground covering in one of the front corners. Anyone have opinions on HC vs. Glosso?

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Whee! Congrats on the upgrade!

HC and Glosso both require a lot of light & often times CO2 (with ferts). You could use screw-in CFLs (2-13 or 15w) but you'd need to also look into a carbon source (excel/diy co2/pressurized). I tried glosso with 26w 10 inches from the substrate & diy co2 - got some stemmy grassy glosso. So :huh: it's up to you.

You could try some moss carpet... spread cut-up moss onto slate & wrap with hair net. Or sandwich moss between plastic mesh & weight down with rocks. Again, like I said about your moss wall, it will take at least a month for the moss to get a foot-hold.

It's tough to get a carpet unless you upgrade lighting & fert/co2 regimen.

By the way, mondo grass is non-aquatic & will die/rot. Maybe start up terrarium in your 5g! :D

Callmeconfused

Jul 25, 2010
Gainesville, Florida
Real Name
Kimi
Fishycat, I use 15w cf screw in's already, and I use excel in that tank.

FallenAngel, They both came from schools that died off in other tanks. I'm just nervous about getting more of them after that.

On another note....I think I will be scratching this idea after the dinner I just had. My sister-in-law offered me her 2 big tanks, I believe they are 50 gallons, I will find out tomorrow when she drops then off! lol.

Hey Fishy, what do you think about a HUGE shrimp tank? hehe. Maybe some blues? These little critters are addicting!

Callmeconfused

Jul 25, 2010
Gainesville, Florida
Real Name
Kimi
Oh, and I knew about the mondo grass, but it was free. Funny thing is, in a couple of my tanks, it has done better than my aquatic plants. lol

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Wow that would be an awesome upgrade! And you could breed brigg snails with no worries for space, too.

I'd make the 10g an invert tank and move your fish to the bigger tanks & up the school sizes. When you pick up new tetras, hand pick which ones you want. Point out specific fat/healthy ones. I did this with my 2nd batch of neons and got a much higher survival rate. Your silver/gold tetras are beautiful & a full school would look awesome amongst the neons!

Callmeconfused

Jul 25, 2010
Gainesville, Florida
Real Name
Kimi
Well, I was going to go pick up the 10 gallon tonight, but I think I may not, since I will now have 2 of these bigger tanks....:hypnotized:

The possibilities are endless!

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Okay well I'm just saying if you mix shrimp with others, you'll barely see the shrimp.

Nothing beats a bunch of heli-shrimp zooming around a tank! Maybe turn the 5g into your shrimp tank...

Callmeconfused

Jul 25, 2010
Gainesville, Florida
Real Name
Kimi
I know, I was actually wondering how well a Big Shrimp only tank would do? I know it would take a while to set up, but I was picturing lots of moss, driftwood, and shrimplets. The 5 gallon is gonna be a shrimp only tank when one of the bigger ones is ready for the tetras.

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Here's a 20L with CRS, RCS, amanos and CPD, neon & ember tetras... I think I need to copy this tank.

[yt]HnuvNNEH6Zk[/yt]

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store