betta breeding help!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
You can feed them newly hatched brineshrimp, Sera Micron, probably liquid fry food, or you could buy golden pearls from Kensfish.com. Look for anything at the LFS that says it can feed newly hatched fry.

Aquarius0015

AC Members
Sep 29, 2003
Richmond, VA
Visit site
I bred my LFS bettas once . A deep red male to a royal blue female = mutts, but no biggie for me. I just wanted to see if I could do it.

I got the eggs layed in the nest and removed the female, but the male was overinvolved. Everytime he tried to repair the nest, he knocked a few eggs out. They were gone by the end of day one. I hear those sorts of things are common for virgins though, so maybe I will try again when I'm out of school.

Right now I'd really like to breed cories, which seems a little less predictable. With cories one doesn't have the problem of jarring the males after fishy adolesence.

Aquarius0015

AC Members
Sep 29, 2003
Richmond, VA
Visit site
What I've heard is the air temp is critical because the fry come to breathe at the surface and if the air is chilled it can kill them...
The humidty is especially important, too. If a fry's first breaths are of dry air, the labyrinth organ will not develop correctly and it will die.

paintballgoth

AC Members
Nov 2, 2003
long island
Visit site
yea, i have searched around about it a bit...and they say that the ones you get from a fishstore are old (over a year) and they will only breed till about 1.5 years old...so alot of the petstore bettas are over ''sexual prime'' there kinda middle aged and not into sex so much anymore. so there more difficult to breed

plus the fact that there all mutts themselves so when you breed them the offsping will be all diff colors...but thats not realy important.

thanks guys
josh

PumaWard

Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
It's been my personal experience that a lot of the LFS's bettas really aren't that old, at least none of the ones I bought weren't interested in breeding. I've bred 2 male bettas from petshops and 3 females.

The real important thing, I think, is to get 2 males because some just aren't made to be fathers. I would also get 3 females. It has been my experience that bettas form "pairs". Once my male bettas decided to breed with a certain female, they didn't want to breed with any of the other females if they had a choice. Vice versa for the females.

It's not a big deal if they are mutts or not because petshops are only going to pay you so much for bettas. Most, I don't think, would care if they are from a quality strain or not.

HTH

paintballgoth

AC Members
Nov 2, 2003
long island
Visit site
you actualy sold them to the pet stores?

how much did you get for each?

and did you have any diffulty getting them to live after hatching? if yes what?

sry for all the questions...

thanx alot
josh

PumaWard

Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
My brother and I let nature take it's course and we ended up with no fry, which were neglected all too much due to the busy nature of the family business this last summer.

I wouldn't expect more than $1 for an 1-1.5'' fish, 50 cents would probably be closer.

The largest difficulty in keeping the fry to surivive is feeding them. They also need clean water, so 2X, 25% water changes are a must with water that is the same temperature as the tank water to within a degree or two. The next problem was the labyrinth organ development, the tanks need decent covers although there must be open spots for air to pass through. They will also need higher protein food like newly hatched brine or golden pearls.

I think your best chance for fry survival is to cull out the weaker, smaller fry after they have been freeswimming for 2 weeks. This leaves more food and less competition/waste for those that are strong.

For the first couple of weeks the fry can be very delicate. A temperature of 86F will probably maximize growth and help keep the young fish healthy.

HTH

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store