New Tanganyikan set up

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
Here's my new Tanganyikan set up. It's nothing fancy, but the shellie tank had no room for the leleupi so I went ahead and threw this one together. There is no substrate, but I do have egg crate down due to the heavy rocks. It's only half filled, I may attempt a pseudo-riparium, planting plants in the holey rock. Filtration was tough since I couldn't use HOBs, so there's an internal whisper filter and a sponge filter. The bioload on this tank will be low so that should be sufficient. Right now it's housing leleupi juvies, multies, and some julidochromis transcriptus fry. Ignore the biowheel and filter cartridge, they're just there for cloning purposes.

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Very nice! I think you can add later 1 to 1.5" of sand in there. What's the size of the tank?

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
Thanks! It's a 50g tank. I'm a little nervous about so much weight on my 3rd floor apt floor, that's a lot of why I've only filled it halfway. If I don't end up moving in May I'll probably add sand substrate then.

Jill-O

All American Girl (all grown up)
Interesting set up. Do you plan to add substrate?

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
that looks awesome already, how much did you pay for the holy rock?

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
Interesting set up. Do you plan to add substrate?
Answered that above. Substrate will be added only if I don't move in 8 months, don't feel like messing with it and the fish don't need it. This tank is set up purely for function, not for aesthetics.

that looks awesome already, how much did you pay for the holy rock?
Thanks! Bought the pieces on the left and the center at a local fish auction, so lets just say I paid a whole lot less than I would have had I bought it by the pound.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
My buddy lives on the 3rd floor and has a 150g...are your apartments super old or something?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Some tangs wont use much of the upper 1/2-1/3 anyways unless you plan on really building up the rockwork...at least when it comes the the julies IME since they mainly stick to the rock. The multis, of course, could care less. Heck, you could always add some riparium plants in baskets attached to the back glass to add more dimension to the tank.

I dont see a whole lot of shells though (although I could be mis-seeing)...how many multis are in the tank total? Make sure you've got 2-3 per fish.

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
My buddy lives on the 3rd floor and has a 150g...are your apartments super old or something?
Nope, built about 4 years ago. But they build these apts quick and cheaply. I've got a 75g, 55g, 29g, 24g, several small tanks, and now this half filled 50g in a 1 bedroom apt. I've spaced the tanks out and the 75g, 24g, and this tank are on exterior walls, but still...

Some tangs wont use much of the upper 1/2-1/3 anyways unless you plan on really building up the rockwork...at least when it comes the the julies IME since they mainly stick to the rock. The multis, of course, could care less. Heck, you could always add some riparium plants in baskets attached to the back glass to add more dimension to the tank.

I dont see a whole lot of shells though (although I could be mis-seeing)...how many multis are in the tank total? Make sure you've got 2-3 per fish.
I actually added some riparium plants today. Made my own version of ghetto riparium planters by taking the AC sponges I've been using as prefilters and using them as planters. I figure they're loaded with all sorts of mankiness the plants will like, plus I needed to replace them anyway. I shoved 2 of the plants into the holey rock and 2 I suction cupped to the back. We'll see if it works.

There aren't a lot of shells in there, but my multies are weird. Even in their old tank they didn't use the shells much, they preferred the holey rock. I do plan on getting some more shells when I find some. There are only 4 multies in there right now (the ones that hid when I was catching the colony to take to the auction) and 6 shells. The male won't use the shells at all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store