Wanting to get kribs need a little advice

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ddmiddle7

AC Members
Sep 30, 2010
Indiana
Alright everyone I need a little advice. I am setting up my 26 gal bowfront and plan on getting a pair of apistogramma pulchra. I know I need a few caves, and I am doing a heavily planted tank with a big piece of driftwood as the center piece with a bunch of plants growing on it and around it. Will flourite be a safe substrate for them? I also plan on getting a male albino BN pleco and some sort of schooling fish as dithers, plus to add some fish to the top level of the tank, since the kribs will stay mostly towards the bottom. How many can I put in there? 6-10? I was thinking some rummy nose or neon tetras. What are some other schooling fish that stay tight together? I think that will pretty much max out the tank, but if not any other suggestions?
Thanks for the help on advance.

nguyendetecting

"Swim along with the snorks"
Jul 31, 2008
Tallahassee, Fl
www.youtube.com
flourite is fine. I would only go with 1 pair of kribs, I would skip on the neons and go with something a little more meaty raboras, pristella tetras(or similar), van rios, lemons, and etc. Harlequins school thight and stick, rummies do also but are very timid.

ddmiddle7

AC Members
Sep 30, 2010
Indiana
Thanks nguyendetecting! Yeah I only wanted to get one pair, they are so beautiful, I can't believe I just found out about these little guys....Thanks to this wonderful site! Ok harlequin rasboras were the other fish that I found that I really like so I will go with those. How many do you think, I want to make sure they are comfortable so I want as many as possible, I know they like the largest groups possible....strength in numbers you know. :)

spacefish34

Sep 2, 2009
Bedford,TX
Real Name
Chris
I would do five or seven rasboras.In that size tank you definitely only want to keep only one pair of kribs.Once the pair begin courtship,kribs become very territorial and waspish.And,as they are excellent parents once the brood is free swimming they can become very aggressive while protecting the fry.However,the krib is a great introduction to cichlid behavior and a good primer to cichlid parenthood.I would have the tank heavily planted with a cave of some sort tucked in a thicket of plants.I get a 5" diameter clay pot and after soaking for 24-48 hours,get a 3" diameter round bit made to drill ceramics and pottery.Drill a hole in the side and place it in the tank upside down.If aesthetics is a problem you can hide the pot behind wood,rocks,etc.And as far as tankmates,stick to calm fish of the upper strata.I like harlequin rasboras,pristella tetras,glolite tetras,etc.I wouldn't use the more rambunctious fish like tiger barbs and zebra danios.Good luck...

ddmiddle7

AC Members
Sep 30, 2010
Indiana
Thanks I am in the process of trying to find that perfect piece of driftwood, I want a big knotted one with arms and such. I already have a couple of pots just gotta get them to cave status. I am still in the planning stage as the tank is cycling now, getting the flourite this weekend, man that stuff is pricey!!!!!:eek:mg:
Thanks for all the advice!

ddmiddle7

AC Members
Sep 30, 2010
Indiana
Are there any different types of fish that I can that will school together if I get them at the same time? That would be pretty cool to see if so.

napsterninja

AC Members
Sep 19, 2010
From my experience they are great fish especially when breeding. Their colors are much more vibrant. I had rumy nose, cardinal, and emperor tetras with mines. I think the emperors were more adapted with the kribs because of their size and color. The other tetras stayed away. I think I lost a few of the other tetras due to when they get into sleep mode they drifted into the parenting krib nest. I also had Otocinclus catfish which used to be everywhere in the tank. After I introduced the kribs they just started to hide and stay in a more densly planted areas. I had a 55 gal tank. I started with one pair and ended with a lot. At one point I had 4 breeding pairs in the tank. But when that happens the parents didn't parade the frys around. They just stayed within their zones. Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store