Gold Nuggets Pleco (L-18)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
Does anybody keep one? My LFS has one that I would really like to get,but I don't want to drop $50 on a fish I will never see. I hear they like to hide.

If I get it,will I ever see it?

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Hmmmm I dont know apparently they say with age and size youll see them more often but thats all I find about them as far as how much youll see them. I read there harder to keep then there relatives. Make sure if u do buy it that its in good health check its belly if its sunken in Ide avoid it.

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
They do hide depending on the time or if they are lazy. I used to have two and they were out quite a bit but its not like its going to be a tetra swimming around lol Beautiful plecs to say the least!
I have plecos. BN's and a clown. I never,ever,see the clown. I have had it for three years now. I still move the driftwood it stays under to make sure it is OK. Even when the lights are out,it hides.

The BN's are out and about most of the time.And even when not actively swimming,they are not hard to find.

I don't expect a pleco to be swimming around like tetra,but I also don't want to shell out the cash for a gold nugget,and have it be like my clown.

It's nice that yours were out,makes me lean more towards getting one.

JBarbaresi

AC Members
Sep 19, 2010
Goode, VA
they are very pretty fish, but there is a reason you don't see many at adult size. not only do they hide but they are incredibly hard to care for in aquariums. its something about their intestinal tract, they have to constantly be grazing and most people can't provide for their diet.

lots of people get them because of how nice they look, but do some searching in the forums and you'll probably find a ton of threads about people's gold nuggets dying.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
I feel it is not that difficult to keep GN when ideal conditions are provided.

Choose the one in good health and acclimate properly it should do as well as any other plecos.

Although they hide most of time, stick few pieces of TRUE Driftwoods. Let them adjust to new surrounding without harasing them.
Provide Romaine Lettuce tied to small sinkable object (stone, etc) which is also tied to fishing line (easy retrieval). DO not leave it in there for more than 12 hours.
Although Romaine may not have much nutritional value, at least you can see the fish and enjoy. You should provide other prep veggie foods at night.

clayt101

Registered Abuser
Let it sit at the store for a week or two to make sure it is eating. IMO, Gold Nuggets are fragile when they first come in from shipping conditions. If it is eating at the store, find out what they are feeding. Get the pleco and the food that it is eating. I had a 6 inch one that I sold to a friend. I got him at about an inch, took about 3 years for him to get to 6 inches.

captaincaveman9

Innocent and Pure!
Oct 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Steve
I have a gold nugget pleco, and it hides about half the time. and paying $50 is way over priced for one. With mine, I noticed it comes out more often if i feed more zucchini during the week. I do notice if i approach the tank to fast, it hides too..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store