Cichlid & Betta

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

beastie_boy

AC Members
May 20, 2003
Leeds
Hi,

I have a dwarf cichild (cockatoo) and a Male Betta. The LFS said it would be fine with my aquairum size and it was for a month or so then the cichlid grew and is just smaller than the Betta. The cichlid then chases the Betta around the tank and everytime he gets close nips his fin. I have removed the Betta to a smaller tank but really want them to share, is this possible?

I would have thought the Betta would be able to hold his own but he's so scared and the cichlid doesn't stop chasing till I remove hime which is never long. I really do think he would kill him if I left him in. The cichlid doens't attack any other fish.

thanks

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Sorry but they won't go together. Male bettas get a reputation as a super aggressive tough fish but really they are just super aggressive against other male bettas. Generally they are the ones that get picked on in a community tank situation. There are some good community fish that work with a betta but I wouldn't put many cichlids on that list.

beastie_boy

AC Members
May 20, 2003
Leeds
Betta & Dwarf Cichlid

Thanks. It's strange as I have moved the Betta to a tank which is sitting at the top of my aquarium and he seems happy there, even thought I would prefer him to roam as free as he likes. But when the Dwarf cichlid swims close to him he puffs up ready fro war, yet if i release him he swims away like a big girl (no offense girls).

Until I can afford another Aquarium I don't know what to do. Maybe i'll just invest in a sole Betta aquarium, but only after reading more on the subject.

Any ideas on how I can get them to play nice, perhaps i'll send the cichlid a valentine card from the Betta to break the ice.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
You can't really train fish to do what they don't want to. I would get a nice little 2 -5 gallon tank and set it up for the betta. I have mine in a 5 gallon planted tank all to himself and things are great.

LateralUs

AC Members
Feb 19, 2004
Kansas
Visit site
So do you all think one would get the same results (ie: bullying cichlid cowering betta) if a betta was in with African butterfly cichlids? I've heard that they are fairly peaceful, even for cichlids. I just want to get my poor betta out of its 1 gal bowl and into something bigger, so I'm hoping I can put him in a tank with either Af buttfly cichs or with rainbowfish (whcih I dont really want, they look kinda dumb and personalityless although they are really pretty) So any thoughts anyone? Should it be done or am I just holding out a faint hope??

Oh and i know I can put the betta in his own 5 gal or whatever tank but space is limited here in my tiny abode and I'm just trying to use what space there is as best as I can (ie: as many tanks as I can :D )

thnx

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
The only cichlid I have successfly kept bettas in with are rams, discus, and angels...

My Apisto. staecki and kribs beat my male bettas up pretty good.:rolleyes:

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
If a 5 gallon is out of the question, how about one of those small 2.5 gallon tanks. Still small but much more room for mr betta. And since it is a betta you can still get away with no filter assuming you do the proper water changes.

The african butterfly is a top dweller and may not allow the betta to share his domain. But since I have never tried I don't know.

LateralUs

AC Members
Feb 19, 2004
Kansas
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your replies... appreicate it.

What I have decided to do is just get a 10 gal, put a divider in it and a filter and a heater and some live plants and put my male betta on one side, in like 4 of the 10 gals and then on the other get like 3 female bettas. Maybe 4.

I think that I just like my betta too much to experiment with him and cichlids. And I dont WANT rainbowfish like I want some cichlids.

As for the 2.5 gallon, it kinda sucks but even in a bowl unless you want to do complete water changes every 2 to 3days, you need a filter. I been testing ammonia levels in his 1 gal bowl and also on a betta in a 2 gal tank (no filter) and the ammonia levels build up in no time. Surprisinly the 2 gal tank is worse, maybe because that betta is bigger and eats more.

Anway, I appreciate your guys's answers. :cool:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store