Modifying an Odyssea CFS-500 canister filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Taffer

AC Members
Oct 16, 2010
Has anyone successfully modified the CFS500 to force the pump to take in the water at the bottom of the bucket? I'm thinking about installing a "U" shaped pipe for this purpose to force water through all of the filter media above it. It seems to me that the stock pick up strainer will take most of the water in at the very top, leaving most of the media poorly/not circulated.

The other option I'm thinking about is to leave the stock intake strainer and modify the sponge a little bit to allow water to flow down right away (to allow it to pass through the media sponge at the bottom). I just got this filter, have not hooked it up yet, but might makes some mods right away.

I'd also like to hear input on who has changed the filter media, leaving the stock intake. Bioballs? Ceramic noodles? carbon?

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Unless someone has bought this relatively new filter, knows first hand what the parts look like, how it works, and modified it, I doubt you will get responses. In a different thread I think I offered you some ideas but that advice is pure conjecture since I only have a 1 dimensional photo to work with. That is why I recommended not using the original sponge in your experimental mod cuts so you can return to an operational stock version should your mods fail. Automotive parts stores sell giant open-cell foam sponges in the carwash section at a low price.

If and when you do make mods, please share them here with detailed photos, steps and results.

Taffer

AC Members
Oct 16, 2010
Thanks Gunner...and thanks for your reply in the other section. I moved the question over here because I think it was perhaps misplaced. I'll definitely post up results if I end up modding it. It looks to me like it should be pretty easy.

Taffer

AC Members
Oct 16, 2010
I'm completed my mods for the filter and I'm happy with the results:

First, I removed the bottom foam, because it just seemed pretty pointless to have it down there...seems to me that water flow through this would be pretty minimal, especially with the intake so high up.

Then I used 2x 3/4" PVC elbows (about 80 cents each at Menards)...one female/female, one female/male to create a "U". I attached an intake from a biowheel 300 filter to one of the openings and shoved the other over the pump intake. I used a left over "O" ring from the return tube over the pump intake to make it a a more tight fit (or the 3/4" elbow would have been very loose on there.)

I filled the bottom area with nylon netting (from garden supply shop) because I cannot find "pot scrubbies" anywhere. This stuff is cheaper anyway and is real easy to fit in irregular shaped spaces. I believe this will allow for additional surface for bacteria w/o blocking flow like the sponge would. I also placed a good size bag of carbon down there real close to my intake, so it gets reasonable flow. I then plugged the big hole in the top sponge with more nylon netting to prevent the water from short circuiting/bypassing the filter foam.

The point of this mod is to force water to flow from top to bottom of the filter, instead of the stock design which starts to draw water into the pump about 1/2 inch down from the top, leaving the bottom half of the media pretty much uncirculated.

Here are some pics to show the details:

here are the two elbows and the intake strainer. I was planning on building my own strainer, but I had this laying around and it worked so perfectly, that I didn't bother. otherwise you could use 3/4 inch pipe and cut slots into it.

This shows the whole assembly with "U" and strainer in place. The bottom of the strainer is resting on the raised pegs of the bottom of the bucket about 1/4 inch above the floor to allow proper water flow.

The bottom area is filled with carbon/nylon netting.

Top sponge in place. I cut a small slit into the bottom side of the sponge, so it allows the raised "U" tube to fit in there...the sponge sort of hugs it and curves around it.

I plugged the hole with nylon netting to prevent bypass flow.

This mod was super easy to build and very cheap. I have been running the filter this way for a few days and while I never actually measured flow rates, it seems very strong. The filter is rated at 550gph and it looks to me like it's putting out that much with media in place. I'm running this filter on a 155g bowfront with 3 oscars.

Questions or comments are welcome!

Taffer

AC Members
Oct 16, 2010
no pics, but it enters through an intake that is symmetrically opposite the clear exhaust pipe. It just dumps in on top. There is a blue filter-batting disk on top of the foam and might help spread the water out a little.

Taffer

AC Members
Oct 16, 2010
I would really appreciate seeing some of the same pic angles with the original configuration for comparison as I have been thinking of buying one of these. What is the black stuff, looks like dolls hair.

these guys put up some pretty good pics...it should give you an idea of how the water enters and the stock filters. I noticed his beige(white) foam is smaller than mine...mine fits in tightly up to the outer edge of the bucket. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/equipment/117191-my-review-odyssea-cfs-500-filter.html

The black evil dolls hair is nylon plant covering netting from a garden center (meant to cover trees/plants to protect from birds??...I used it to cover my pond to prevent leaves getting in) It takes the place of nylon pot scrubbers, which I can't found in any stores around here (including dollar store and walmart)

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
these guys put up some pretty good pics...it should give you an idea of how the water enters and the stock filters. I noticed his beige(white) foam is smaller than mine...mine fits in tightly up to the outer edge of the bucket. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/equipment/117191-my-review-odyssea-cfs-500-filter.html

The black evil dolls hair is nylon plant covering netting from a garden center (meant to cover trees/plants to protect from birds??...I used it to cover my pond to prevent leaves getting in) It takes the place of nylon pot scrubbers, which I can't found in any stores around here (including dollar store and walmart)
Thanks so much that link was a great read as was yours. It gave me the little extra info I needed to MAYBE buy this filter since I will be using one of my established filters as a gift to power an acrylic 60 gallon I picked up for $10. I feel better setting up a plastic tank since there is a chance her autistic son might tap on it with something hard. Im interested in this filter for conversion into a circumference filter, filtering around its side circumference but not the top-down only, especially since its a bottom motor design which is a potential big plus. But before I pull the trigger on it I have to take stock in what other canister filters (two 404's) I can use that are on my modification bench awaiting final refit and re-testing. Cant be unnecessarily loose with the cash anymore in this economy.

Last edited:

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
FYI, I pulled the trigger on this filter after doing the math that I will be needed to pull both my FX5's off each 80 tank. One of them to power my new 160 tank and one to power my set of stacked 60 tanks which will both be filtered of the other FX5. The twin 80 tanks will be using a combo of the Sunsun/404Mod and Odysses/404Mod. Plus I have to come up with a seasoned filter for my sister's Christmas gift 60 tank.

So Im hopeful I can modify the Odyssea to work like a large circumference filter, pulling dirt around the its mid section circle rather then only on top. I will probubly trim the sponge to fit a wrap around layer of poly and blue bond, will see

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store