Fire Belly Toad ?'s

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
First off, is there a way to feed them something other than crickets?

Second, do I need a humidifier if their tank water is heated, what should that temp be?

Third, will they destroy my RCS (don't care if they eat a few, I'm worried they will exterminate)

lastly, how much land space would be needed, (I'm thinking around 1/3 land)

any tips/suggestions would be great!

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth

Second, do I need a humidifier if their tank water is heated, what should that temp be?

Third, will they destroy my RCS (don't care if they eat a few, I'm worried they will exterminate)

#1 They need live food - crickets, fruit flies, wax worms, roaches, earthworms, etc....

# No, you do not need a humidifier as long as the tank is humid enough. Just use a plexiglass top instead of a screened one. The tank water should be in the low to mid 70's. Same with the temperature in the tank. Temperatures above 80˚F can stress and or kill FBTs.

#3 Yes, they will probably thin your RCS herd but if you keep them well fed you probably will be ok.

#4 I would say equal parts land to water would be great. They are very aquatic for a toad but they should still have plenty of access to land.

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009

1) IME they will only eat something if it is moving fairly rapidly. Frogs eyes are designed to capture movement and (according to sources) can only see outlines of shapes so will not try to catch something that isn't moving. Some foods include crickets, active mealworms, earthworms, flightless fruit flies etc.

2) They do not need a humidifier in their tank. As long as there is some water movement (Small filter or sponge filter) the humidity should be fine. FBS are native to East Russia, North China, North Korea and South Korea. There have been some cases of them popping up on Japan but that is most likely due to people releasing them. They do experience freezing winters and fairly warm summers. IME they do best with some change in "seasons" but if that isn't possible the temp can be kept constant between 55 and 80 all year around.

3) This depends on the depth of the water and the cover that the RCS have. In deeper water, the frogs generally do not go to the bottom but if the water is 2-3 inches all over, they could eat quite a few. Just provide plenty of cover for the shrimp and they should be fine.

4) Half and half is better. The main thing to consider is that they spend a ton of time on the shore so if you can set the tank up with the "beach" parallel to the front glass that would make for the most shoreline (Diagonal is even better if possible).

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Is there a risk with keeping driftwood in the tank? Also, there is a no cricket rule in affect, so will I be able to feed worms exclusively ( or other non jumping/flying bugs)?

I live in MA, so there will be a normal temp swing in the house from 55-60 during the winter, and 70-75 during the summer. Should I get a heat lamp, and what would be the best choice?

thanks for all your help so far, I'm starting to draw out some layouts I'm thinking of. I'll post them in a few minutes.

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
Just treat the wood the same way you would for a fish tank and it should be fine. However, if you usually treat driftwood with bleech skip that and just boil it.

With those temps I don't think you would need a heat lamp. The frogs can easily handle those temps and they will like the drop and rise to stimulate the breeding season.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
sorry for the delay, I got caught up in some unexpected stuff. (return of the runs:nilly:)

View attachment un palu top view.bmp

as you can see the HOB sucks up water from the "deep" end of the back of the tank. That little river will be sloped up to the land, but the HOB will be moved to where the driftwood is now. (brown piece, it is an arch) I will make some form of a waterfall with my hob, its a plain old Aqueon quietflow20.

Ok, where the land and the water meet for the long horizontal line will not be sloped. Should I slope this? If I don't end up sloping, there will be some form of a ramp in the far left corner for the frogs to climb up/down.

Lastly, I have some quick questions:

1. What are good floater plants to provide cover for the shrimp and allow the froggies to climb on? They can be real/artifical
  2. What will make the frogs feel more at home (live plants, ect.) I have seen stuff thats moss which you buy in a bag and put around the land.
  3. Is it ok to use all gravel for the tank? If I use coco fiber for the land will it spoil the water if it gets in there for a day or too?
  4. How many worms should be feed weekly? (not here on thursday night-sun morning until the end of football)
  5. How many frogs is a good number?

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
thanks for all the help so far guys, I can really start to see this project take shape!

Chrisinator

Ripariumist
Sep 27, 2008
North Jersey
Real Name
Chris
1. Id get some water sprite or red root floaters to hide the shrimps. Water lettuce will also work if you want the froggies to climb onto something.

2.I love pothos plants. They are extremely easy to grow. Bromeliads would also work but they might become to big for your 10g.

3. I used peat moss on the land area but you could probably cover that with some sort of moss alongside that. I used gravel on the aquarium side.

4. what worms are you using?

5. Id go with 2 personally.

Also, instead of using driftwood why not try to stack roks or something to let the frogs go in and out?

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
I haven't decided yet, which are the best? Should I mix them up?

The driftwood might go, I'm leaning towards no decorations besides plants.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store