55 gl and polypterus???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MChorse13

AC Members
Jun 11, 2010
so im thinking of changing my stock to polys. which ones can go in a 55 for life besides a sen?

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul

RiVerfishgirl

AC Members
Jan 15, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
Real Name
Heather
Polypterus ornatipinnis
Did you misread size? They definitely CANNOT go into a 55g for life. Your link says 27". I nearly bought one that was 24" long and fat, they get HUGE.

They can go in a 55g for quite awhile due to the fact that they hit about 13" and grow more slowly, but not for life.

MChorse13

AC Members
Jun 11, 2010
thats why i picked the delhezi instead. so is there anything i can i put in there? i dont want to over stock.

RiVerfishgirl

AC Members
Jan 15, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
Real Name
Heather
thats why i picked the delhezi instead. so is there anything i can i put in there? i dont want to over stock.
Sorry. I thought I should emphasize since some people never read the links posted (obviously doesn't apply to you :) )

You could try a P. palmas, but they are hard to come by sometimes. Dels and Sens seem to be most commonly available. The palmas I've seen at stores are mislabelled dels, but you can probably find one online.

MChorse13

AC Members
Jun 11, 2010
Sorry. I thought I should emphasize since some people never read the links posted (obviously doesn't apply to you :) )

You could try a P. palmas, but they are hard to come by sometimes. Dels and Sens seem to be most commonly available. The palmas I've seen at stores are mislabelled dels, but you can probably find one online.
what about something besides another poly but a palmas seems like a good idea thanks

RiVerfishgirl

AC Members
Jan 15, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
Real Name
Heather
Peaceful fish that cannot fit in their mouth and will not pick on them should be fine.

A lot of the fish I can think of will not fit in such a small tank unfortunately.

Medium sized less aggressive cichlids could work. Loaches (none that are small enough to eat). Adult three spot gourami variants, pearl gouramis, or any of similar size. African knife fish. Smaller catfish like pictus. African butterfly fish.

These bichirs are not really aggressive, they will just try to eat fish that can fit in their mouth, though some individual bichirs will try to eat fish that are too big for them.

MChorse13

AC Members
Jun 11, 2010
Peaceful fish that cannot fit in their mouth and will not pick on them should be fine.

A lot of the fish I can think of will not fit in such a small tank unfortunately.

Medium sized less aggressive cichlids could work. Loaches (none that are small enough to eat). Adult three spot gourami variants, pearl gouramis, or any of similar size. African knife fish. Smaller catfish like pictus. African butterfly fish.

These bichirs are not really aggressive, they will just try to eat fish that can fit in their mouth, though some individual bichirs will try to eat fish that are too big for them.
awesome i was actually thinking of something like that
so i guess i wanna do something like
1-sen
1-del
1-African knife
1-pictus
or
1-sen
2-del
2-1 african knife
and some dither?

zoomed.com