BN Pleco Fry Growth Rate

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
Is there any way I can increase the growth rate of my BN pleco fry? they are probably getting on for a month old now, and still barely half an inch. I could probably feed them more often, but am already feeding zuccini, algae wafers and they have plenty of algae in the tank to eat.

Do they typically grow this slowly? I have a survivor from the first batch of fry, who is at least 3 months old and is only about 1.5". I am not sure if it makes a difference, but these are possibly L279. Unfortunately I have no verification though, and can find very little info online (even at planetcatfish).

Thanks.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
plecos are slow growers. sounds like you are feeding as much as possible already.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Yeah BN's grow slow. Dont worry though at some point they will have a short growth spurt. Mine are still tiny and there well over a month old. Patience is required when dealing with pleco's when it comes to them growing. Only the big "common" pleco's grow at a fast rate which is like 1" max per month.

Rjb3

AC Members
May 17, 2009
I feed my BN fry Captain Bob's fish food and a carrot now and then. They grow like crazy.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I'm surprised nobody told you the best way to make any fish grow faster. Change more water more often. Waste buildup is normally the limiting factor on growth as most people feed their fish more than they really need.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Oh I never stopped to think about that SubRosa. Very good point though bro. The larger the WC's the faster and larger they can grow. =-)

nc0gnet0

Discus Breeder
Oct 31, 2009
Grand Rapids
Real Name
Rick
I'm surprised nobody told you the best way to make any fish grow faster. Change more water more often. Waste buildup is normally the limiting factor on growth as most people feed their fish more than they really need.
Don't underestate or dismis this either. I had awhile back a spawn of about 60 Albino longfin BN's. I placed several of them in a couple of my discus tanks, which recieve daily 50% water changes. The rest I left in my 75 gallon which reiceves a 50% water change once a week. Needless to say, the pleco's in the discus tank are growing at a rate twice that of there not so fortunate brethen.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store