Oto, cherry shrimp coloration questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

justahannah

Fascinated newb
Jul 29, 2008
Tacoma, WA
www.myspace.com
Real Name
Hannah
A couple days ago I discovered one of my otos is still alive. I started out with a group of 5 or 6 two-ish years ago when I set up my 46 gallon and found most of them when I upgraded to the 75, but they've gradually disappeared over time (I figured dead and their little bodies consumed by the other inhabitants)...I haven't seen any sign of them for months. This little male has decided to come out of the plants, and I noticed the tip of his nose has turned bone white. The tank is pretty densely planted so it was hard to get a shot, but I upped the contrast and drew an arrow to what I'm talking about. What's going on, and is it related to his age (2+ years)?

Tank has been established over a year and was set up using the established materials from the 46 that had been set up for a year before that, no ammonia or nitrites, nitrates are appx. 20 ppm after a waterchange a week ago, haven't added anyone new for a good 6 months at least, all other inhabitants appear healthy. Now that I know he's alive, I also wonder if I should buy him more friends, but the ones I see for sale look small enough I think my boesemanis would eat them, as well as I don't know their average lifespan....if he's already over 2 and has this weird nose thing going on, will he live long enough to make adding more otos for his sake worthwhile?

Other question is about cherry shrimp coloration, I've noticed there's a lot of variety in my females. I have a couple that are an amazing, solid cherry red, I have one that's almost plum colored but kind of spotty looking, and I have lots that are more like a pale speckly pink with a brown stripe down the back...is this kind of variation normal? There are differences both in color and in the density of their pigmentation...I'm including a couple pics. They all share the same tank/food so I can't attribute it to differences in living conditions...I've been curious about it for a while.

tank.JPG otto.JPG shrimp1.JPG shrimp2.JPG

Big Mike

Large Member
Sep 8, 2009
IL
Real Name
Huge Mike
Im no expert but the last shrimp doesnt look like a cherry shrimp.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
IDK about the Otto, but the last shrimp appears to be a bamboo shrimp or a ghost shrimp. Prob ghost shrimp, they can look darker if the surroundings are darker.

Oh, and thats a very nice tank. Also, maybe the ottos didn't die, just went into hiding. I've had that happen with my Corys, they would just disappear for months on end, then, on a random day or when im cleaning the tank, they suddenly show up again. Fish are weird like that :D

justahannah

Fascinated newb
Jul 29, 2008
Tacoma, WA
www.myspace.com
Real Name
Hannah
I know it isn't a bamboo shrimp, it has pincher hands instead of filters and they're the same size as the redder cherries. The ghost shrimp I've seen have always been much clearer, and I thought they required brackish conditions to breed...these off-colored cherries are baby machines in the fresh water. I recieved my cherries from two sources on this forum so I'm trusting they were properly identified... But things happen sometimes, it'll be interesting to learn more.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
Its 100% a cherrry shrimp and that variation is totally normal.

As for the oto, I cannot tell from teh pic but their lifespan is well over two years. Getting more friends is always a good idea as long as your tank can support their needs.

I think maybe the comments its not a cherry shrimp have to do with a little distortion in teh pic making it look elongated, regardless, that is 100% a cherry shrimp and a female.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Definately can't tell anything about the little Oto by the pic. Sry. One is a lonely number for them.

justahannah

Fascinated newb
Jul 29, 2008
Tacoma, WA
www.myspace.com
Real Name
Hannah
Thank you msjinkzd! The oto was out again so i managed a couple more pics, with and without flash. The tank's a scratched up acrylic beast so it's hard to get clear shots. Hopefully these help the diagnosis though. The only reason I'm hesitant to get more otos is the lack of large, healthy stock...when I bought the original group, all my fish were small so it didn't matter so much. Now the rainbows are downing adult guppies and I'm hesitant to buy small fish, especially if this guy's on his way out be it from age or something else...

otto2.JPG otto3.JPG

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Does look like a rub. What kind of substrate/decor might you have in there? Looks as if he was working in tight confines.

justahannah

Fascinated newb
Jul 29, 2008
Tacoma, WA
www.myspace.com
Real Name
Hannah
The substrate is a mix of pool filter sand, 3m colorquartz, and eco complete. Decor consists of driftwood, rocks, and shells scavanged and boiled from the beach and lots of live plants. There are two hob filters, a stealth heater, and an aquaclear powerhead in there also. Maybe he's been squeezing between the heater and the acrylic.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store