Synodontis petricola breeding hut

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
Anyone keeping/breeding these guys and have made your own DIY breeding hut?

Right now I have a mid-sized terra cotta pot and cut a nice hole in the side. I have a terra cotta lid to set it on with some dark marbles.

ANyone else made one and have any advice? My petricola females are looking nice and ripe for breeding and any tips would be appreciated.

FallenAngel

AC Members
Sep 11, 2010
New Zealand
Real Name
Matt
Sorry I don't have syno's but good luck with breeding them :)
I know some people make coconut huts cut in half with a 'door' for breeding some dwarf cichlids?

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
yea for petricolas you need marbled in the bottom and alot more room than a coconut hut has to offer. If you dont' have the marbles, the adults eat the eggs. The eggs need to be able to fall between the large marbles to get a chance to hatch.

FallenAngel

AC Members
Sep 11, 2010
New Zealand
Real Name
Matt
Oh okay, I've seen sites recommend marbles with corydoras as well, maybe the same with similar catfish? I don't know, but syno's are definately alot bigger than corys, so maybe a big plastic or terracotta pot could do the trick, same technique with making the door?

Maybe a bucket even? Depending how big the tank is.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
Having bred quite a few catfish and other fish, I feel confident on what I am doing. I need specifics for petricola as they are different to spawn than cories by far. They either use a host fish or need some sort of "nest" setup.
Here is a link for people for more info: http://www.scotcat.com/articles/article30.htm

I have been growing these guys out for nearly a year and they are just now hitting maturity.

oscardelahoya

on my way
Sep 30, 2010
central ohio
What did you use to cut the whole? And the bottom of that then gets filled with black marbles correct? Is there a distinctive way to tell between male and female?

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
What did you use to cut the whole? And the bottom of that then gets filled with black marbles correct? Is there a distinctive way to tell between male and female?
A stepped drill bit.

Yes, marbles will go in the bottom. I will probably try to finda small glass bowl to sit it in so that I can see if there are eggs without disrupting it.

The females are MUCH wider/fatter than the males at maturity.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Rachel, you ever checked out Rosenthal Pottery on Aquabid? He makes lots of dedicated species breeding caves (pleco, Calvus, etc.) as well as discus cones, and they are beauuuutiful!

I wish I had something helpful to add, but you know so much more than I do sooo....:eek:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store