Fiddler Crab questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ddmiddle7

AC Members
Sep 30, 2010
Indiana
:help2:So I am setting a a nice little Crabitat in my ten gallon tank, and I have a few questions... I have a bag of sand left over from when I built my firepit. It is foundation sand, can I use that in with the fiddler crabs? I think it will be better than play sand or some other finer grain sand. I don't want their tunnels to cave in on them. What do you guys think?
Also, I just have the standard hood that came with the 10gal setup, can I use that? I have taped up the hole that was popped out for the HOB filter so they can't escape, or do I have to get a screen top for it? I am going to do 3/4 land - 1/4 brackish water, with a filter/waterfall. I plan on using some acrylic sheeting cut to size and siliconed in the tank at an angle so the crabbies can have easy access to the water. Besides heating the water, do I need to heat the land side of the tank or will the lights from the standard hood suffice? I have done a lot of research on these guys, but these are a few things I couldn't find concrete answers to.
Thanks for all the help in advance.
I am going to start a thread tomorrow showing the progress of my little crabitat, if you are interested in following what I am doing, look it up I will title it Fiddler Crabitat Build.

Thanks again.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Although 10 G may be too small, Why not mud instead of sand and add mudskipper as well as fiddler?

If water is very low, couple of inches deep, HOB wont work. You can use any internal filters.
With very low water, only possible escape route by fiddler will be the wire of internal filter. Just make sure no opening by the wire as long as rock piles are not too high.

Is it fluorescent or incandescent? If room temp is not too cold, I dont think you will need heater.
If need heater, you may use 25W submersible heater with low water set up or heat pad place on the exterior side of bottom glass (reptile tank heating pad).

Good Luck with new venture.

btw, it does not have to be brackish. Depending on the species, they may prefer saltwater.

ddmiddle7

AC Members
Sep 30, 2010
Indiana
yeah i have looked into vampire crabs...they would be awesome, but for the price I think I want to try something a little cheaper at first. Plus from what I've read about them, they require different habitats then the fiddlers. So does anyone have any idea about the sand? It is actually called leveling sand, it's the stuff you put under patio pavers to level them out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store