aulonocara fry rearing failed

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
it had seemed like the numbers of my aulonocara fry were dwindling every day when i was recording them, however, i could never really be certain, until last night. i began recording them when i noticed one was dead, than i noticed another was dead and half gone. there was i think only one or 2 left, the others were completely gone. idk what happened or why but im really disapointed. i guess ill wait til they breed again to give it another go.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
What are you feeding them and have you been changing water? I start my peacock fry on frozen bbs and switch them to finely crushed flake food in about two weeks. It's important to change the water at least 50% every week (more often is better) to prevent uneaten food from building up and raising nitrite levels which are very toxic to fry. If you don't mind blue silicone adding methylene blue to the tank for the first week will keep fungus from suffocating the fry.
Andy

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Hey Austin sounds like other fish killing them thats why we pull them from the parents to make sure they survive..

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
nah, its only day 15 so they still have yolk sacks and they were still in the tumbler. the tumbler was in a 10g tank that didnt have any fish in it. they just slowly dwindled away to nothing. idk why

DrgRcr

AC Members
Dec 17, 2008
Central NJ
Next time, I might be inclined to let momma hold longer and then strip her maybe at 18-21 days. I know many strip the eggs and tumble them, but to me it just seems easier to let the fry develop naturally in her mouth. Whatever the case, sorry to hear it didn't work out and I hope you have better luck on the next try.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
I agree with Drg i didn't realize you pulled them with Sac's

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store